Firestarter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bic lighters are fine, but ya gotta admit that they don't really have the "cool factor" of pouring a cap full of potassium permanganate into a couple ounces of antifreeze. Just do it outdoors on the dirt or cement!!!!

Dave

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It works at around room temps. Won't work at higher altitudes and cold temps.

http://www.unluckyhunter.com/2012/01/sad-truth-about-potassium-permanganate.html

Interesting read.

I'll have to try it this winter and see what happens.

I'm thinking that one of the benefits people think about is that the potassium permanganate mixed with antifreeze gives the same reaction as with straight glycerine. Most folks won't have glycerine handy, but most every car has antifreeze.

Dave

Botman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got my go back with some packs of trioxane, lighters, storm matches, and your standard mag bar. I think the most reliable are the storm matches since they are coated and burn for quite some time. A good magnifying glass is a good way to go as long as it doesn't break. I've seen some guys use cedar sawdust and make bars out of it with melted wax. Seems to work well.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting read.

I'll have to try it this winter and see what happens.

I'm thinking that one of the benefits people think about is that the potassium permanganate mixed with antifreeze gives the same reaction as with straight glycerine. Most folks won't have glycerine handy, but most every car has antifreeze.

Dave

You can get small bottles of glycerin at CVS or Walgreens. I haven't compared it to antifreeze or tried it in the cold yet.
I saw on tv one day where a guy in an anti 2A state used a paintball gun with a mix of paintballs filled pp and glycerin, it lit up a scarecrow dummy in short order.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when I used to go to the rockies elk hunting every year I would cut some chunks of one of those duraflame logs and put them in a ziplock bag. I could light them with a bic or a ferro rod etc ,they burn plenty long enough to get even damp wood going

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love trioxane tablets. Carry several in a pill bottle in my emergency kit. Easy to get going with a ferro rod or match or lighter. Vaseline soaked cotton balls work great as well just prefer trioxane. Cheap at army surplus stores.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Latest posts

Top Bottom