First attempt at smokin'.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoo-t

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Others may have different opinions, but I wouldn't mix the apple and hickory. Two totally different flavors. I like hickory for steaks (beef), ribs, and bacon... and apple for pork chops, etc. I don't think I've tried apple on ribs, but I'm sure it would be really good. It just seems to me that the hickory really complements beef, while the apple complements pork. (Yes, I realize that ribs and bacon are usually pork, its just traditional.)

If you get a chance, try smoking with the BARK from a shellbark hickory. YUMM!!!!

Steve

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hahaha!

Well, I just took the ribs out, they sat in the ice chest in the foil for about a half-hour.

OMG, those are freaking good! NOT dry, NOT tough, heavy ring of smoke, a bit spicy (that's the Tony's and pepper), just a hint of sweet. I'm debating if I even want sauce on them. These things are SERIOUS ribs!

I'm in LOVE!

<edit> And they are JUICY! Not just "not dry", they are JUICY!!!! Wow...

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damn, they was GOOD!

Can't wait for tomorrow to do it again! :D

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Grillin_202014_20140523_214233_zpsmsmii8cd.jpg

You better takes pics of the cooked product next time.

Ask and... ye shall receive! :D

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, don't mix smoke flavors and an easy way to know when ribs are done is when the meat pulls back from the bone and when you raise the rack up the ribs will break try to come apart. No need to remove and wrap and recook and all those others steps unless you want to. Glad your ribs came out, sounded yummy, I'm a huge fan of Tony C. seasoning, I use it in lots of different ways.

Latest posts

Top Bottom