Smokin' Saturday!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Retains heat and moisture. Most will wrap it in foil, then in towels. The idea is to insulate it so it doesn't cool off and dry out, but not keep it in a place where it will continue to heat. You can do similar by putting it in a low-heat oven to keep warm, assuming you don't let it dry out.

It's a poor-man's faex Cambro.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/faux_cambro.html

It's amazing how much I learn, how many myths are extinguished the more I read! :D

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gotcha, thanks for the link. I didn't realize there was so much technique to smoking meat...so I'm adding a cooler to my list of things I'm gonna need.

Good Meat Thermometer
Cooler

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's what the eggs looked like sliced:

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Grillin_202014_003_zps16665e39.jpg

They were pretty good. For what it's worth, the 2nd day, I heated this one up, sliced it up and threw it inside a tortilla and sprinkled it liberally with finely-shredded Mexican blend cheese. Turned out to be pretty damn good! :D

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
tR,

For your pork butt, look up that mop sauce I posted up here recently. Also there is a recent post that somebody else put up with a brown sugar based rub that I commented in. Mix up BOTH of those. Mop that butt and pile on that rub right before you go into the smoker. Smoke for about 4 hours and then start applying a coat of mop about every 2-3 hours after that. If the mop takes off the rub just sprinkle more on right after you mop. You will have a killer bark on that butt, this is exactly how I'm doing my next one.

Also you can freeze it just fine. I have a Foodsaver and I just throw the sealed bag into a pot of water on low and let it warm up, then I open it up, dump into the pan (dump the water first) to get it fully hot, add to bit of sauce and pile it on buns. It's just as good as the day you pulled it.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just made up a batch of Meathead's Memphis Dust to rub it with. Gonna skip the salt, as it's already "enhanced" which from what I've read is often a slight brine in the packing.

I hear various things about mopping, pro and con, but I generally do, although usually just a simple apple juice. I may try yours this time.

The one thing I'm worried about it how long to cook it... I know there is huge variability in terms of speed from one butt/shoulder to the next, but I am bringing lunch to a clinic I am volunteering at tomorrow and I cannot be late. I do NOT want it to be done too early, but someone posted their last one took 23 hours!!! Wow! Most of what I've read says 1-1.5 hours per pound is about average. I know if it's plateau'd for a LONG time I can finish it in the oven, but I'm really trying to avoid that if at all possible.

I got a 6.85lb butt/shoulder with the bone in. So I'm thinking 10PM for ~14 hours at low low heat. 200 if I can manage, maybe up it to 225 or so in the morning when I wake. Don't want to go too long, but I don't want it to be done at 5AM, either! Lunch isn't until 1. So I have my faux cambro set up, but hoping I only have to use it essentially for transport, not for much in the way of holding time.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just made up a batch of Meathead's Memphis Dust to rub it with. Gonna skip the salt, as it's already "enhanced" which from what I've read is often a slight brine in the packing.

I hear various things about mopping, pro and con, but I generally do, although usually just a simple apple juice. I may try yours this time.

The one thing I'm worried about it how long to cook it... I know there is huge variability in terms of speed from one butt/shoulder to the next, but I am bringing lunch to a clinic I am volunteering at tomorrow and I cannot be late. I do NOT want it to be done too early, but p238 posted his last one took 23 hours!!! Wow! Most of what I've read says 1-1.5 hours per pound is about average. I know if it's plateau'd for a LONG time I can finish it in the oven, but I'm really trying to avoid that if at all possible.

I got a 6.85lb butt/shoulder (before trimming) with the bone in. So I'm thinking 10PM for ~14 hours at low low heat. 200 if I can manage, maybe up it to 225 or so in the morning when I wake. Don't want to go too long, but I don't want it to be done at 5AM, either! Lunch isn't until 1. So I have my faux cambro set up, but hoping I only have to use it essentially for transport, not for much in the way of holding time.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I smoke mine at 225. Ribs, brisket, and butt, all at 225. Chicken or Turkey you need to go higher because the center of the meat is in the danger zone for too long, you gotta move on out of there with poultry. Figure 1.5 hours per pound on that butt and you should be close.

That meathead dust will work well. I was thinking that it needs cayenne, but that mop will give you that. Use both, it WILL be good!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like cayenne in it myself, but as Meathead noted, cooking for many you have to tone it down. I can always add some zip to my own servings, but can't take it away from others'. :( Sadly, it seems most people are weenies, too. lol

Just rubbed 'er down, wrapped 'er up and will throw 'er on the smoker around midnight, I think.

Latest posts

Top Bottom