First attempt at smokin'.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I smoked two chickens today. I had them in a brine since yesterday.
Are you putting rub on your ribs the day before you cook them, or just before you cook them? Try putting some yellow mustard on with the rub 24 hours before you cook them. I seldom mob my ribs, unless I let the smoker overheat and I need to cool the meat. The mop just wipes off the rub.
I use pecan for almost everything. However, I have an offset smoker, which uses regular firewood.
Your beacon wraps look good. I am going to smoke a deer ham next week, I'll wrap it in beacon.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try this site for some tips on your pellet smoker, lots of good recipes and tips on it.

http://pelletheads.com

Yup, been perusing there a bit, as well as http://www.pelletsmoking.com/. Got a lot to learn and a lot of recipes to try.

The last set of ribs, I just put the rub on before putting them in the smoker. Today, I'll probably put it on a few hours before and wrap 'em up a bit, then smoke 'em. I've heard of the mustard ribs, but I'm going to wait until it's just me before I experiment on those.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
The mustard just holds the rub on the ribs better, you don't taste it. Pork really needs to have the rub applied the day before. Beef can have it put on just before you cook it. Chicken needs to be put in a brine the day before Water, salt, sugar, garlic, and lemon juice. I put a lemon pepper rub on the chicken before I smoke it.
Brisket is just salt and pepper, but my rib rub works on brisket, too.
If you do not want to use mustard, a little olive oil works to hold the rub on the ribs.

Here is the rib rub I use:
•1/2 cup brown sugar
•1/4 cup paprika
•1 tablespoon Course black pepper
•1 tablespoon Course salt
•1 tablespoon chili powder
•1 tablespoon garlic powder
•1 tablespoon onion powder
•1 teaspoon cayenne
•1 teaspoon ground cumin
•1 teaspoon dry oregano
•1 teaspoon dried thyme
Yup, been perusing there a bit, as well as http://www.pelletsmoking.com/. Got a lot to learn and a lot of recipes to try.

The last set of ribs, I just put the rub on before putting them in the smoker. Today, I'll probably put it on a few hours before and wrap 'em up a bit, then smoke 'em. I've heard of the mustard ribs, but I'm going to wait until it's just me before I experiment on those.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The mustard just holds the rub on the ribs better, you don't taste it. Pork really needs to have the rub applied the day before. Beef can have it put on just before you cook it. Chicken needs to be put in a brine the day before Water, salt, sugar, garlic, and lemon juice. I put a lemon pepper rub on the chicken before I smoke it.
Brisket is just salt and pepper, but my rib rub works on brisket, too.
If you do not want to use mustard, a little olive oil works to hold the rub on the ribs.

Here is the rib rub I use:
•1/2 cup brown sugar
•1/4 cup paprika
•1 tablespoon Course black pepper
•1 tablespoon Course salt
•1 tablespoon chili powder
•1 tablespoon garlic powder
•1 tablespoon onion powder
•1 teaspoon cayenne
•1 teaspoon ground cumin
•1 teaspoon dry oregano
•1 teaspoon dried thyme

I just mixed up a batch of this but more basic (I didn't add your last 3 ingredients) and was amazed at how good it was. To the point that I doubt I will ever buy another commercial rub again. This was my 1st time doing a homebrew rub. :thumb:
For commercial the Cookshack rubs are pretty dang good and my favorite, followed by Daddy Hinkles. But my homebrew just blew them out of the water, especially when comparing cost. This rub is also a good "all purpose" rub being that it works well on most anything. I just used it on some pork chops that I broiled in the oven last night.

I do differ on rubbing pork and letting it set overnight though. If you have salt in your rub (and who doesn't?) your ribs can get "hammy" tasting. I don't want to make ham unless I'm making ham. Beef? By all means, I'll let that brisket go a full 24 hours or even more depending on the schedule.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made up a batch of this

2 tbsp Tony Chachere's
1/2 c Old Bay
1 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
2 tbsp onion powder
3 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp regular paprika
1 tsp cumin

Didn't add any salt, as the wife tasted it and pronounced it salty enough. I like mine a bit saltier (and spicier) than her, but I'm still experimenting, so we'll see how it goes.

Oh, btw, those proportions are VERY approximate... I don't ever measure anything unless I'm following a specific recipe. I'm a "pinch of this" and a "smidge of that" kinda cook. Seems to work out well, though! ;)

I did put the mustard on before I rubbed the ribs, no real wait time, they are for this evening and the spareribs will take 6+ hours, so I'm gonna put 'em on in just a bit and throw a rack of babybacks on later, with some chicken breasts and drumsticks, if there's room. If not, I'll just do those on the regular grill. Today it's "low and slow"... lowest setting, which simply reads "smoke" and see how it goes. :D

Can't wait!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of this smoker talk again has me thinking of going to get a smoker. Last time I had the urge, I had a buddy having the same urge. He bought a Masterbuilt basic model and I provided plenty of pork loins and injectable marinades. Good stuff, but he is out of town this weekend and I can't run and get his smoker.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gotta say, it's the easiest and one of the tastiest ways I've found to cook out.

If you go to get one, spring for a BIG one. You're gonna have folks wanting you to smoke for them (like your friend does for you! lol). And I can't rave enough about how easy a pellet smoker is!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom