first confirmed pig in our area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my area the wildlife department is kind of responsible for the wild pigs. H C Groendyke was releasing pigs into the wild back in the seventies. He was on the Wildlife Commission at the time. His son John has been on the wildlife commission for 37 years. He did it as a private citizen but he did release truckloads of them. Could have been a tax write off. He also was releasing blue quail. The blue quail disappeared. The pigs thrived. He owned thousands of acres west of Geary along the South Canadian River.

Your really sure about this? Seriously? Truckloads of pigs released?

How would that be a tax write off?

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not sure about the tax write off but I am sure he was releasing pigs.

It would be a tax write off if you bought truckloads of pigs and they all got out of the pen. A total loss.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He didn't run his land as a profittable farm operation. He made money from the trucking. The farming was play.

He had frequent celebrity hunting quests. A class mate of mine lived close to his land and in 1976 was invited to go quail hunting with Lee Majors, Farah Fawcett, and William Conrad and Groendyke. This was when Farrah's famous poster was out and very popular.

This is the same friend that watched pigs getting off of the trucks.

I also grew up with a current Captain with the wildlife department. He shot some of the pigs and would verify the pig release.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm very good Friends with the Captain of the ODW in charge of the NW county's.

He would not let this happen. Trucking in pigs is not an issue. Lots of pig farms in that area. Transporting or releasing feral pigs is the issue.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No urban legend. It was forty years ago, pigs were not a nuisance and there were no laws against it. It was an acting wildlife commissioner letting them out.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
He didn't run his land as a profittable farm operation. He made money from the trucking. The farming was play.

He had frequent celebrity hunting quests. A class mate of mine lived close to his land and in 1976 was invited to go quail hunting with Lee Majors, Farah Fawcett, and William Conrad and Groendyke. This was when Farrah's famous poster was out and very popular.

This is the same friend that watched pigs getting off of the trucks.

I also grew up with a current Captain with the wildlife department. He shot some of the pigs and would verify the pig release.

Those quail hunts were part of the Grand National Quail Hunts, taking place on several places across the state..........based out of Enid and organized by Groendyke. I've been on part of the ranch on the river, now McKinnley Ranch IIRC..........who has a guy that leases it out and runs a hog hunting operation on it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom