First Deer Rifle Suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm gonna try my hand at deer hunting this year but I don't have a deer rifle. I'm thinking about getting something in .243 or .270 but I'm not sure what would be the best. Any suggestions?

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Either of those would work, 270 would be more capable for hunting bigger game in other states if you ever had the chance. For Oklahoma deer, both of those calibers are more than adequate, so long as you are adequate with them.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It depends on the child? Is he or she small or large build? For someone under 14 I would suggest a 25-06, 6.5x55 or a 243. You dont want to give them something that Kicks. Remember they are a lot smaller than we are and it will be easer to train them to keep there eye open and not to flinch. That is a problem with all young shooters have yo over come.

Just my 2 cents...

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It depends on the child? Is he or she small or large build? For someone under 14 I would suggest a 25-06, 6.5x55 or a 243. You dont want to give them something that Kicks. Remember they are a lot smaller than we are and it will be easer to train them to keep there eye open and not to flinch. That is a problem with all young shooters have yo over come.

Just my 2 cents...

Didn't really read the post that well, did ya?

swcu_21

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Out of those options .270, never heard much bad of them.

I would prefer something in the 30 family myself. I have always favored a 308 Winchester for deer, you have some range and you can find 150 gr Core Lokts at any wally world.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.270 is what I went with for my first rifle for deer and anything that I want to kill up to an Elk. .243 was also on the table but larger deer is pretty much the limit of that caliber. i wanted something with more versatility so I opted for a .270. Make sure you get the standard .270 WIN and not the WSM(Winchester Short Mag) its not needed and ammo is more money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom