First Deer Rifle Suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have killed mucho deer, a bear, some elk and antelope and many coyotes and bobcats with a .270. Killed them all well and is pretty versatile. I load a 90 gr sierra varminter for coyotes and cats and use the 130 gr nosler/winchester combined tech for big game. Longest kill so far has been a doe at 475. Killed a big ole buck last year at 400. Lots of deer at 300. It will be a rifle to hunt big game for a lifetime. It does kick pretty hard and I have a muzzle brake and a good recoil pad on mine. If you are a recoil sensitive person, I'd stick with .243 but overall, I think the .270 is a great rifle.

csiedmond1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used a 30-06 for years until some ass clown stole it, it was great, maybe a bit too much! I shoot a .308 now and a .243 both are great and have plenty of range for up to an easy 400 yds...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The .270 is the brainchild of Jack OCconner, a great rifleman,and a great outdoor writer. He championed the-then wildcat .270 and killed many elk with it. He was always in heated arguments with Elmer Kieth that was a big bore or nothing advocate.
History has proved the .270 to be great round for every animal on the north American continent.

Since then thousands of gun writers needing to publish a story have touted the .270 vs the 30.06.

Basically the only difference is that the .270 is longer and sleeker in the ogive of the bullet, resulting in a tiny difference in drift down- range. It's not much, but needs to be taken Into consideration at long ranges.

I love the 3O.06. It's the parent cartridge of dozens of rounds.

Why not choose the King of all rifle cartridges? 55 grain to 200 grain.
What's not to like?:D

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own a 270 for all my deer and hog hunting. I use my 300 win mag for anything bigger i.e. elk, bear, moose etc..

I think the 270 or 308 are both great deer rounds. Nothing against the 243, but I prefer a bigger bullet for deer. Let us know what you decide.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 270 I owned for a year or so kicked a LOT harder than my 308, so I would definitely recommend a 308 over the 270; plus the fact if you were to hunt elk, I'm thinking some states make you hunt with a 30 caliber minimum for elk. Out of the two from original post, I would go with 243, but I am a smaller caliber fan myself. I won't hesitate to take my 22-250 or 22-243 deer hunting at all. Just my $.02

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It dont matter what you shoot if you are flinching when you pull the trigger. Remember he said it was for a child. Start small and let him get his confidence and as he gets older you can trade it in for something different.

Latest posts

Top Bottom