First Deer Rifle Suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I must have missed something. I thought it was a law in the state of OK that your first deer be taken with a .30-.30 (Either Winchester or Marlin) lever action with iron sites.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up using a 30-30 which was great until you get a shot at a distance. Now I use a 30-06 and have never had a problem.

My dad won't use anything other than his 243 and he consistantly gets deer with it as well.

Look at your options and what you may decide to do in the future as well as the area you hunt in. Then make a logical decision. Go bigger if you think you'll hunt some big game or want that extended power and reach.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first deer rifle I bought was a .30-06. I figured at the time that it would give me the best all around "bang for the buck". I've carried it in Ok. for deer, Co. for elk and in the Wichita Mountains for an elk hunt. Only time it will come out of the safe from now on will be another elk hunt. I love my 6.5X55!
BTW I can still draw in to another Wichita Mtns hunt before I die!!!!!:woohoo1: Not holdin my breath.:o:o:o

longrangepistol

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both the .243 and .270 are fine for deer. I would ask a friend or someone on the forum if they had a rifle(s) chambered in either caliber to shoot and find out what you're comfortable with. Accuracy is what kills, not knockdown power. I've witnessed young kids take mulies and antelope with a single well placed shot from a .243 and I've seen hunters gut shot and wound game because their flinch was so bad shooting a long action cartridge like a .270, 30-06 or larger.

Because the range of calibers you're looking at is quite great (.243 - .270) and this is your first deer rifle I would look at all of the short action cartridges first. Short action cartridges here in the U.S. are those generally based on the .308 Winchester case. The .243 and 7mm-08 are necked down from a .308 as well as .308 itself. All the cartridges listed above you can obtain relatively inexpensive ammunition for at Walmart, Academy and Bass Pro. The retained energy of the .308 and 7mm-08 open up the option of using them for larger game including elk. As for long action cartridges, the 25-06, .270 and 30-06 work great and the versatility of the .270 and 30-06 can be used on larger game as well.

Your goal this fall, because this is going to be your first deer rifle, is your initial experience deer hunting should be a positive one. That being said, get the rifle that you know you can hit accurately with, harvest a deer and take home memories that include a fun and successful deer hunt. Missing shots and or tracking poorly hit game can make the fun of deer hunting not fun for some.

LRP

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first deer rifle I bought was a .30-06. I figured at the time that it would give me the best all around "bang for the buck". I've carried it in Ok. for deer, Co. for elk and in the Wichita Mountains for an elk hunt. Only time it will come out of the safe from now on will be another elk hunt. I love my 6.5X55!
BTW I can still draw in to another Wichita Mtns hunt before I die!!!!!:woohoo1: Not holdin my breath.:o:o:o

For the beginners .270 and 6.5 as mentioned above have very similar ballistic performance.

HERE is a very informative article on the .270 WIN round. If it doesn't convince you that your first rifle ought to be a .270 WIN given your demonstrated needs then I don't know what will.

EDIT: I was thinking about the 6.8, not 6.5.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Above all remember the 06 has taken every animal that walks the ground in the world, and has won more 1000 yd matches than any other caliber in history.
It's Past it's prime in that
area, but still is a round that ALL current rounds are compared to.
I've killed many deer wi everything from .22-250 to .54 cal.
Your .270 will be fine

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think i'm gonna go with the .270. Its got the vast majority of votes so far. Its gonna be a few months before I buy it but I'm just gonna look around and do my research. But the .50 cal does sound enticing......

Latest posts

Top Bottom