First Deer Rifle Suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's trick question ... the right answer is 7mm-08: I shoot 30-something calibers, 7-08 is such a wonderful "best-of-both-worlds" the only thing that comes close is 6.5x47 Lapua; everything else is just "too much case" or "not enough bullet".

+1 Ding ding ding. We have a winner.

Reloader27

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I take the .243 when I am stuck at my spots where I know chances of a big sucker are not often or if I am just after some real tasty venison in the lighter weight category. I always find me reaching for the 30-06 when I have the priveledge to get on some nice bucks when hunting an invite to a great spot. I know it is 99% shot placement, just a mental thing I guess. I do know the -06 will hammer them down though!

Comte DeLoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.243, .270, .25-06, 7mm-06, .308, and .30-06. All are great cartridges. All would be fine rifles. Unless your really into reloading the "case length" and "Bullet ogive" arguements arent going to mean much to you. The smaller sizes will let you deer hunt and varment hunt, the larger sizes will let you deer hunt and go after bigger game like elk. Any of them would be a good to great deer cartridge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom