First Handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilencerX7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm stuck between completing my AR-15 (Spike's Punisher lower + FBT rifle kit) or getting my first handgun to round out my arsenal. I was wondering what would be a good 9mm pistol to have under 500 bucks. I've been looking at Berettas, Smith and Wessons, 1911s, Ruger SRs and I can't decide which one to get should I opt for the handgun purchase.

What would you guys recommend? I'm iffy on the Glocks as they are as plain as plain could get and they cost a little more than some of the others I've been looking at.

Also, which one would you recommend I get first? An AR or a handgun? I already got me bolt action (Mosin) and a semi-auto (SKS).

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm stuck between completing my AR-15 (Spike's Punisher lower + FBT rifle kit) or getting my first handgun to round out my arsenal. I was wondering what would be a good 9mm pistol to have under 500 bucks. I've been looking at Berettas, Smith and Wessons, 1911s, Ruger SRs and I can't decide which one to get should I opt for the handgun purchase.

What would you guys recommend? I'm iffy on the Glocks as they are as plain as plain could get and they cost a little more than some of the others I've been looking at.

Also, which one would you recommend I get first? An AR or a handgun? I already got me bolt action (Mosin) and a semi-auto (SKS).

Any of the handguns that you mentioned would be good. My suggestion would be to try as many of them as you can out, and then make up your mind.

SilencerX7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any of the handguns that you mentioned would be good. My suggestion would be to try as many of them as you can out, and then make up your mind.

Well, I'm not a picky shot. Any gun feels good in my hands and I'm fine with it as long as I keep to the 9mm round. I was hoping to get some outside input to help put my heart into one. I've been considering the XDM 4.5 series since it's not much more above my budget but my knowledge on handguns is rather limited since, as I said before, everything feels fine as long as it ain't a compact. Lol

TulsaGeoff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glock 19 is the universal answer. My favorite pistol is my Springfield Range Officer $750 or so @www.slickguns.com. They aren't too expensive. Springfield GI model goes for about $600 online. The role of the pistol is important too. I bought a M&P Pro 9mm and it looks and feels nice but I don't like shooting it. I have never owned a glock but I want either a 34 or 19. The cheap trigger jobs and accessories are certainty a plus. Not to mention ridiculously long extended factory mags are available.

But 9mm just doesn't have the stopping power like a .45
ecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_41Dk7zgI1KL._SL500_SS120_.jpg

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The Glock 19 is a fantastic balance of size, weight, and capacity. That's why it comes highly recommended. It's kind of the "gold standard" for compact wonder nines.

I carry one. I had a similar opinion. I have come to appreciate the "plainness" of them as a plus. It is that design that lends itself to reliability and robustness. They are also very snag free.

Finally, if you buy one, you don't stand to lose much on it. I bought one used 6 years ago, have shot it frequently, and would lose almost nothing if I sold it.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get the Glock. Practice with it, Mr. I'm not a Picky Shot ... :tounge: I'll go to the range with you and make you a picky shot ... :wink2: Save up a little $$s on the side ($100 or so) and buy yourself a Lone Wolf barrel. Swap your barrrels out. Your assimilation will become complete because your groups will shrink NOTICEABLY with no more effort on your part. It's an amazing feeling ...

Plus ...

Glock's are easier to disassemble, clean and put back together ...
Glock parts are EVERYWHERE ...
There are a bazillon folks out there who are Glock armorers (GC and I to mention a couple) who are willing to help you with any questions you might have.

The list goes on but you get my drift ...

If you want to shoot several different handguns before you make up your mind (Mr. Gerhard is right -- you need do to some shooting before you make up your mind to plunk down some money), PM me and I'll gather up what we have here, holler at some friends who have some different stuff than we do and see if we can get together at Harry's or H&H sometime soon ... I don't care which place we go to, but keep in mind you can rent handguns at H&H. It gets kinda expensive to do so, though, because you HAVE to use their ammo.

OR ... if you want GC and I can meet you out at OKCGC and we can shoot outside in relative solitude (my favorite) on a Friday as he is off on Fridays right now ...

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Glock 19 is a fantastic balance of size, weight, and capacity. That's why it comes highly recommended. It's kind of the "gold standard" for compact wonder nines.

I carry one. I had a similar opinion. I have come to appreciate the "plainness" of them as a plus. It is that design that lends itself to reliability and robustness. They are also very snag free.

Finally, if you buy one, you don't stand to lose much on it. I bought one used 6 years ago, have shot it frequently, and would lose almost nothing if I sold it.

Couldn't agree more with this statement. I carry either, a Glock 19 or an M&P Shield in 9mm. I also own quite a few other pistols and the glock is my "do everything" pistol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom