Fishing lake Arcadia

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckapuck

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any tips on areas to fish Arcadia for catfish or crappie at night when it cools down? Finally got my boat out of the shop and have not been on any lake since moving to the area.

thanks

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
same here duck. i had my boat all ready to go out (just got it last week) & the streets around i35 & waterloo were completely gridlocked.

fished for a couple hours friday night in that dead tree area just east of the big wildlife sign on the south side of the lake (still about 12ft deep if you idle in a bit) but didnt get a single nibble. neither did another boat in the same area. tried just west of the indoor fishing dock as well, that area was a ghost town on the fish finder. theres a little spot on the north side of the lake just off one of the rock points where i got a 46ft depth reading, might be a good spot to troll through, gonna try it next time im out. i dont know if theres a good spot on arcadia with this heat, havent found one yet.

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
here's a little map i drew up after scouting arcadia for about a week. note, water level is very low right now so it might change a bit when it gets back up.

adproberts.files.wordpress.com_2011_08_arcadia.jpg_78b7765249effc11d20a54912e0e0c7c.jpg

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
no such rule, you'll find boaters out there fishing all night long on pretty much every day of the week.

i called Central State Park - (405) 216-7474 just to make sure something "fishy" wasnt going on & they verified - boaters permitted on lake 24/7.

pulled this guy out of the SE corner "cat goldmine" area yesterday round 7:30 PM on a live shad about 6 inches long, nearly lost him when he swam under the boat and started spinning the boat in a circle.

caught another smaller channel cat as well a little before this one. left at 8:30 & they were still top water swelling all over the place. if you do go in that area be warned, it is a LOG MINE FIELD and i do not exaggerate that. motor up & use your trolling motor in brief spurts, keep your speed down or you'll rip it off. lots of logs 6'' deep you have to bump around. it gets to about 2ft deep for a bit then opens back up to about 4.5-5.5ft near the back of the cove. very soft deep mud bottom, be ready for a nasty anchor when you leave.

arcadia has some really big cats in there, but you gotta fish for em in the uncommon areas to find em.

adproberts.files.wordpress.com_2011_08_20110811_090551.jpg_73d9f63cbf68d5d7391d41bb4dcbecbf.jpg

the little one
adproberts.files.wordpress.com_2011_08_20110811_125152.jpg_73d9f63cbf68d5d7391d41bb4dcbecbf.jpg

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
more fishing reports from arcadia and a bonus fish story! - blues are starting to bite pretty good. caught 2 of them last week, one of them an 18 pounder, not bad eatin.
adproberts.files.wordpress.com_2011_08_20110819_083531.jpg_73d9f63cbf68d5d7391d41bb4dcbecbf.jpg

we also had a pretty interesting experience with something we hooked but couldnt get inside the boat due to its sheer size & strength. both me & my buddy did a little writeup about the 25 minute "fish" fight, i would consider it a pretty ~fishy~ story if i hadn't have been there myself holding the net, but believe me we're not exaggerating in the slightest, it was like trying to pull in a cow.
story @ http://davidproberts.com/2011/08/18/there-is-something-very-very-big-in-lake-arcadia/

we've geared up with some 80lbs line rods, massive net & deep sea gaffs in hopes that one day we'll hook whatever this thing was again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom