Fishing Lake Hefner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure why they call it a lake, more of a big pond to me but it is close. I was wondering if anyone fishes there and if it's a decent place to go? If so, where on the lake, from the shore would be the best place?

I've not been fishing in over a decade but I thought if it was a good place I might give it a try again.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Skip it unless your going somewhere near the course. I used to fish around the dam ALL the time, and never really had any luck, sans a couple of bass and walleye. The last 3 times I've been this year, nada. lines and bait get caught in the rocks, poles get broke and its getting pretty trashy out there.

Like I said, unless your off the bank or off the shore somewhere (near the marina/golf course area), they don't really bite. it could be my fishing skittles, but the amount of crappie and bass that have been in muh belly from Grand Lake say different.

I can't recommend any place in the city, cause I just don't plain fish around there anymore. There is a small pond in Edmond (Behind the dog park, over by Mardels) that people have talked about, I've never been and live just a few miles from there. maybe it's time???

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm...that's what I was afraid of. I see people fishing there occasionally but I've never seen anyone actually catching anything. Thanks!

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard there are some good fish there, and supposedly you can catch them off the rocks on the dam (if you don't mind the spiders and occasional snake), and people have told me they've caught some good crappie from the south shore around the docks.

I saw a dead fish on the shore a week or so ago; it was at least 18 inches; not sure what it was.

I've been there a few times but never caught anything worth keeping. It's still fun to throw a line out without driving an hour to get there.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you guys see the recent HUGE catfish A blue that was caught there.
Lot's of blues there.
I have more luck walking the rocky part of the dam nearest the spillway.
I have caught a basket of fish many times using roostertails.
I have caught channel cats, crappi, sandbass/hybrid, big sunfish and smallmouth's in
the same area on the same roostertail.

I hate the increase in city permit and refuse to fish these waters near home.
So i drive 150 miles to fish now.
And come home with ice chest full of fish instead of basket full

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was just going to stay out of this, but here ya go.
ODWC Fishing Report
Hefner:*June 23. Elevation below normal, water 74-78. Channel and blue catfish excellent on punch bait, live bait and dough bait at 4-8 ft. at the inlet and along riprap. White bass, striped bass hybrids and walleye good on jigs, small lures, live bait and blade baits; the walleye bite is mainly in early morning. Largemouth bass good on jigs, spinnerbaits and topwater lures at 3-6 ft. along riprap and points. Flathead catfish good on live bait and crankbaits at 4-8 ft. along riprap. Crappie fair on minnows and jigs at 12-18 ft. along riprap. Report submitted by Lucky Lure Tackle.

Overholser:*June 24. Elevation rising, water 73-78. Channel and blue catfish good on live bait, punch bait and chicken liver in the river channel and around points. Carp good on punch bait and worms below the dam. White bass and striped bass hybrids slow on minnows and worms in the main lake and around docks. Report submitted by Jerrod Davis, game warden stationed in Oklahoma and Canadian counties.

Latest posts

Top Bottom