Folding knife suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neginfluence04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1157604_632045746814910_1423024706_n.jpg

1150994_632046640148154_1015952776_n.jpg

1011444_632046903481461_1967372220_n.jpg

My first spyderco and first benchmade knives.

Last edited:

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everybody goes through the phases (some differently than others, but still - you hit most of them once you get to "knife-nut" status). Quantity, then Quality, then cost, then usability. Then your tastes up and change and you find yourself using traditionals more, or just SAKs or other slip-joints, or lock-backs, or longer blades... then shorter blades, then thicker spines that can be abused, then thinner blades that slice more superior to thick...

I've narrowed my collection down to the few that I really use, or really wanted just to have in the collection (that's getting passed down to the kids). I use 'em all - there are currently no safe-queens (though some do get treated nicer than others), and there are very few I'm really just dying to own. A lot of the newer knives coming out are interesting, but I don't know that I'm rushing out to go pick one up just yet.

There are a few limited-production knives that I missed out on - that possibly tickle my fancy enough to encourage me to pay for 'em, but I'm starting to settle into the whole knife-hobby where I'm not constantly buying/selling to find "that one" (or "all of those").

I need a sharpener that doesn't cost more than my knives lol

Knife Sharpening is a balance - either you spend more time and upgrade your skill, or you spend more money so that the sharpner does the hard work of keeping the edge perfect for you. You can pick up a Lansky or Smith, but get diamond course (and possibly medium) stones if you plan on reprofiling any of your knives - or anything with harder steel in it because it only gets harder from there. If you get a Lansky-style setup, then remember patience is key - set it up to sharpen and do it for a while and then walk away and take a break - then come back and start again.

You can go Free-hand and learn the ropes on some decent DMT course/medium and natural fine and ceramic ultra-fine stones, but that takes a ton of time/patience to learn to do it right. I could put a decent edge on my knives with that setup, but it's hard to keep it consistent and I have no patience. I basically wanted to be able to put an edge on a knife with a stone out in the wilderness if I absolutely had to, and now I can (so I got rid of my entire free-hand setup).

In the end, if you want a perfect, repeatable edge on a knife that you can reproduce in less than 10 minutes on any knife, there's only one system and there's a reason it's sold-out everywhere despite its expense. The Wicked Edge is the sharpening system to beat right now. The Edge Apex Pro can't touch it IMO for speed/precision.

It hurt me to spend the money one my Wicked Edge. I had to sell a few knives just to fund it, but it's one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Latest posts

Top Bottom