Food Plot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK. for you guys that have put in food plots, i have a question for you. My neighbor appears to have put in a food plot and i have no experience determine what it is. I am familiar with wheat. This patch was not drilled (probably broadcast spread) and it already up about 3" - 4".

Question: with the drought, can wheat already be up this tall? I am familiar with farmers planting wheat mid to late September but can you plant it earlier that this and have a chance for it to come it?

The plant looks like wheat: single blade, skinny, long straight blade same color as wheat.

Any ideas?

Also, do you plant a food plot of "wheat" for turkey?? My neighbor is more of a turkey hunter than a deer hunter so would this plot be for turkey?

Thanks for your help.

P.S. I hope it is not wheat as wheat will adversely flavor the meat of deer.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
OK. for you guys that have put in food plots, i have a question for you. My neighbor appears to have put in a food plot and i have no experience determine what it is. I am familiar with wheat. This patch was not drilled (probably broadcast spread) and it already up about 3" - 4".

Question: with the drought, can wheat already be up this tall? I am familiar with farmers planting wheat mid to late September but can you plant it earlier that this and have a chance for it to come it?

The plant looks like wheat: single blade, skinny, long straight blade same color as wheat.

Any ideas?

Also, do you plant a food plot of "wheat" for turkey?? My neighbor is more of a turkey hunter than a deer hunter so would this plot be for turkey?

Thanks for your help.

P.S. I hope it is not wheat as wheat will adversely flavor the meat of deer.

What??? Where did you get that?

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, to be honest i might of made an assumption here. I know that if you butcher cattle taken directly off of green wheat, the meat will stink and you cannot eat it. Now, this is green wheat - the stuff growing in the field.

The process is to take cattle off of green wheat, which puts a lot of weight on cattle, and feed grain and water for 60-90 days before you butcher.

Deer might be different. i'll take your word on it.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Could be rye, it is planted usally a week or two earlier than wheat and handles dryer conditions better. If this is in the Tulsa area, you've had plenty of rain for both. Enid area only averages about 20" of rainfall per year compared to your 40", and wheat is the primary crop out here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom