For all of you farmers/ranchers/ DIYers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 3/4 of an acre and would like to spray to kill weeds myself. What chemicals do I use, and when do I use them? I would like a cheat sheet so I can do it myself and save some $.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a landscaper guy that should know tell me just fertilize the hell out of everything to kill it off in the spring and the Bermuda will come back out in a few weeks. He also said just round up everything in the spring, Bermuda will live through that also. Never tried either one of them.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What kind of weeds? Pasture or lawn?
I am moving to Edmond, within city limits in a HOA. What kind of weeds? Just the standard weeds. I noticed in my Norman home that no matter what I spray on it from Home Depot it doesn't work. I need to get it professionally sprayed. Issue is in the Edmond home the quotes are coming on over $150 per spray

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I am moving to Edmond, within city limits in a HOA. What kind of weeds? Just the standard weeds. I noticed in my Norman home that no matter what I spray on it from Home Depot it doesn't work. I need to get it professionally sprayed. Issue is in the Edmond home the quotes are coming on over $150 per spray

If you spray it yourself in a neighborhood be careful of drift. Most professional guys that are spraying a post-emergent herbicide will have hoods on their sprayers so that it can't drift. Pre-emergent is what you see the guys spraying with the hose everywhere which won't kill everything the neighbor has growing.

When you consider the cost of chemicals now, $150 isn't a bad price.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You won't save any money on that quote doing it yourself. You also will still have weeds if you just spray it one time a year.

Hire a service that comes out at least 3 and preferably 4 times per year and your lawn will look like one of your neighbors nice lawns in a couple years.

You'll save money over doing it yourself, and as a bonus it will kill all the weeds.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Biggest mistake most make when using any liquid chemical is that it does not get shook up.

Always shake the container up well, disperse the actual chemical in the liquid it is in, as most will settle to the bottom.

A guy I worked with years ago kept complaining that the Roundup was not working well. But when he would get down to the last of it worked great. I asked him if he shook it up before mixing. You know it, he did not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom