For all Tactical bolt action gun nuts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Trigger Trouble

The 700 series of rifles dates back to the 1940s, when Remington-which had been purchased a decade earlier by the giant chemical company DuPont-was transitioning from a major supplier of the war effort to a more consumer-oriented company. DuPont, which sold Remington in 1993, declined to be interviewed, referring inquiries to Remington.

The rifle series-which debuted with the Remington 721-featured a unique trigger system patented by a young Remington engineer named Merle "Mike" Walker. Walker has called his design "a perfect trigger," with a smooth pull favored by expert shooters.

According to Walker's patent, the secret was a tiny piece of metal called a "trigger connector," which is mounted loosely inside the firing mechanism. But critics, including ballistics experts who have been hired to testify against the company, say small amounts of rust, debris, or even a small jolt can cause the trigger connector to become misaligned, forcing the trigger itself to lose contact with the rest of the firing mechanism.

Then, the gun can be fired when other parts are operated, such as the safety or the bolt. Barbara Barber says her Remington 700 discharged as she moved the safety to the off position to unload the gun. Others have reported their rifles discharging when they opened, closed or even touched the bolt.

Remington attributes all the incidents to improper maintenance, unsafe gun handling or other actions by the user such as unauthorized adjustments of the trigger.

"Both Remington and experts hired by plaintiff attorneys have conducted testing on guns returned from the field which were alleged to have fired without a trigger pull," Remington's statement says, "and neither has ever been able to duplicate such an event on guns which had been properly maintained and which had not been altered after sale."

"The Model 700, including its trigger mechanism, has been free of any defect since it was first produced," the company adds.

But internal documents obtained by CNBC show that in 1948-before the gun went on the market-Mike Walker himself proposed a design change to prevent the trigger's internal parts from falling out of alignment.

Other documents show the added cost for Walker's "trigger block" came to pennies per gun, but with the rifle already over budget, officials decided against making a change.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you consider to be accurized? Simply putting a decent stock or pillar glass bedding a wood stock will make an appreciable difference in accuracy. The biggest problem with the R700 is the stock and the fact that Remington made the barrel.

i2.photobucket.com_albums_y5_seedy_lastMeme_2.jpg

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So do you stand corrected on this?

Sorry didn't know you couldn't read.

You say they don't make a lot they say they make most, unless their customers requirements require outsourcing. Sounds like you're misinformed.

If you buy a Remington 700 off the shelf the barrel came from Remington. If you are a government or other organization placing a large order and you've specified something they don't produce in house the probably outsource it. It's not complicated.

Rhino55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dustin I refuse to get into a battle of whits with an unarmed person. I've had more time in being a student of the gun than you do alive. You may want to expand your reseach beyond one web site and find out when Remington recieved the pantent rights from Boots Obermeyer to produce the 5R barrel.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dustin I refuse to get into a battle of whits with an unarmed person. I've had more time in being a student of the gun than you do alive. You may want to expand your reseach beyond one web site and find out when Remington recieved the pantent rights from Boots Obermeyer to produce the 5R barrel.

lots of people with attitude like yours. They are useless to anyone too. How about you use your expertise to post some sources so we can all be as smart as you?

Which 700s has Remington outsourced "a lot" of their barrels for? Likely none that are sitting in our safes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom