Found some cheap SKS's...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Car wash, really? I bet that does work good, I might try that, take the gun apart, and put all the metal in a big container and hose her down good

Never done that, but it should work. I always place my small parts in boiling water and then poor boiling water over the barreled action. You are just trying to heat the cosmoline up enough to melt it. A heat gun work great too. If you buy the one with a broken stock, start looking for a replacement stock and refinish that. I use my homemade powder coat oven to sweat it out sometimes too, but you probably don't have access to one. A used, but good condition, replacement SKS stock can be had for $20 or less.

sixlimericks

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Simple Green worked really well on my Mosin, and it was caked!

Anybody have first hand experience with the quality differences between the early 50's Russian SKS and the later Sino-Soviets?
I've heard differing opinions lately. Looking to get one, possibly of Tula manufacture to match my Mosin, but don't know if a Chinese one would be better...

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Simple Green worked really well on my Mosin, and it was caked!

Anybody have first hand experience with the quality differences between the early 50's Russian SKS and the later Sino-Soviets?
I've heard differing opinions lately. Looking to get one, possibly of Tula manufacture to match my Mosin, but don't know if a Chinese one would be better...

six, the early 50's didn't have chrome-lined barrels, but often did have spring-loaded firing pins - the first is nice to have and the latter is a really desirable safety feature.

The sino-soviets were, in the beginning, actually just Russians which were assembled in China. To make a long story short, the Russians sold/gave a factory to China and moved it lock, stock and barrel. The first rifles assembled there were from parts on hand. That's why the serial numbers don't track with later Chinese, and why these rifles carried blade bayonets, and why their rear sights were marked differently, and why they have Russian wood. As time progressed and these parts ran out, you begin to see Sinos with Chinese made parts and then, finally, all-Chinese components.

My preference in SKS's (not that it matters) is Russian, then Sino-Soviet, East German, SKS D, Chinese M, Chinese 26's, other Chinese, Albabian, etc. You haven't seen a really good SKS until you've seen an unissued, or near- unissued Russian. I threw the Chinese M's in there just because of their great utility. Actually, they're just commercial Chinese SKS's, as are the Paratroopers.

Last edited:

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
russian 002.jpg

An unissued and a near-unissued Russian.

D 001.jpg

Woops! I would place this SKS close to the top of the list. It's a "D". Standard Chinese SKS, but configured to accept AK mags. Cool! There are so many freakin' Chinese versions.

2 M's.jpg

These are 2 M's I used to own. They are essentially identical except that one is a 20" barrel, unusual for an M. This is the one, of all I've owned, that I really wish I had back. Yes, the Russians are better, but this M, designated a "63", was my all-time favorite. One of you sweet-talking members now has it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom