Fred Baker passed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The first time I met Fred Baker, it was the summer of 1991. I was in OAS, with cash in my pocket, planning on buying a Beretta 92F.

Fred is working behind the counter talking with another guy when I walk up. He asks if he could help me and I tell him I'm a cop and I want to switch from my old wheelgun to an auto and the Beretta 92F was the one I wanted.

He asked me why I wanted a Beretta to which I really couldn't give a good answer.

Then I noticed that he had a Glock 19 on his hip. He recommended the Glock for LE use because of it's simplicity and ease of maintenance. I thought to myself, now here's a guy, who owns a gun shop, who has access to ANY pistol in the joint - Berettas, Sigs, S&Ws, Colts, Walthers - you name it, and he chooses to tote a Glock. They must be a good weapon. :idea:

That day I bought a Glock 22 and I've carried one ever since.

RIP Fred Baker. Thank you for your service and devotion.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My heart and prayers go out to Fred's family and friends. I'm didn't get to see him much in the last couple of years but he was a hoot and I adored him.

When we would run into him at Olde Orchard he and I would always laugh when I shook his hand because one of the other gun selling establishments' owners had been prematurely predicting his demise for YEARS ... For so long in fact that he considered it to be a hysterical joke ... It was a toss up as to which of us would say first it first -- Him: "Hey, how's it feel shaking hands with a dead man?" or me: "WOW, for a dead man you're getting around pretty good!!" lol

He was one of a kind and the world is a less interesting place because he is gone. I will miss him.

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I first did business with Fred in 1984, right after I moved to OK from Alaska. He was fun to deal with and knew what he was talking about. OAS always seemed to have a different attitude if he was not behind the counter. He will certainly be missed.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fred was a unique individual. I remember doing business with him when he was North of where his store is now. The old timers are passing on....Art Mashburn(the real Mashburn), South West Shooters store,now Fred. Guess I'm not ten feet tall and bullet proof, hmmmmmm, mortality.

Cohiba

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Colt LW Officers Model from Fred Baker's store 'long about 1987, when it was still in the old location in a strip mall. You always had to look for a place to park, and if you were in on a Saturday afternoon, you always had to wait patiently to look at what you wanted to see because the aisles were so narrow and the place was always so packed with people. I later bought a number of guns from the new(er) store, but I always kinda missed that packed showroom vibe in the old place. I didn't know Fred myself, but I appreciate all the hard work that he put into running a successful small business, which is no small feat. My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family.
Ron

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just had the pleasure to deal with Darlene on the phone today in relation to thier business. Wonderfull lady who i am sure is doing a great job continuing to run the business under the circumstances. I had to right a wrong on of my co-workers did today and felt bad for her, she has always been super nice to me when I am in the store.

Latest posts

Top Bottom