Fries, Onion Rings or Tater Tots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you prefer

• Total voters

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Onion rings, not the tempura battered, or beer battered. I grew up bowling and working at Yale Bowl in Tulsa, they had the best. Webers rings are very close, and the rings at Mahogany are damn near it.

View attachment 309539
Red Robin has some like that.

1665586506599.png

Talk show host Bruce Williams related a story about a restaurant waiter. Bruce had ordered his meal and had about finished. He spied a waiter carrying a fresh order of rings to another table. Bruce said he half heartedly made a grabbing motion toward the rings making eye contact with the waiter. Both he and the waiter grinned. He thought nothing more of it until the waiter brought him three large onion rings on a plate. Again after the thank yous, they both grinned. The waiter got a $100 tip.

I learned something after hearing that.

Last edited:

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

View attachment 309559

Talk show host Bruce Williams related a story about a restaurant waiter. Bruce had ordered his meal and had about finished. He spied a waiter carrying a fresh order of rings to another table. Bruce said he half heartedly made a grabbing motion toward the rings making eye contact with the waiter. Both he and the waiter grinned. He thought nothing more of it until the waiter brought him three large onion rings on a plate. Again after the thank yous, they both grinned. The waiter got a $100 tip.

I loved Red Robin Rings. Alas, I’m a grumpy old bastard now, and after a 2.5 ft kid rounded a booth at a dead run carrying a soda and crashed into my legs as I was returning from the pisser I no longer go to Red Robin.

His parents never got up or said a word, even though the dad saw it happen. They didn’t even have any thing to say after I told them they were the sorriest example of every bad thing I could thing of and would never be accused of being good parents. Just sat there looking at me slack jawed that I’d have the nerve to say anything to them. Knuckleheads. I wanted to bean the little bastard, but it wasn’t his fault. He was just doing what was allowed at home. God give me strength, but I hate people.

Too many kids at Red Robin for me anymore.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I loved Red Robin Rings. Alas, I’m a grumpy old bastard now, and after a 2.5 ft kid rounded a booth at a dead run carrying a soda and crashed into my legs as I was returning from the pisser I no longer go to Red Robin.

His parents never got up or said a word, even though the dad saw it happen. They didn’t even have any thing to say after I told them they were the sorriest example of every bad thing I could thing of and would never be accused of being good parents. Just sat there looking at me slack jawed that I’d have the nerve to say anything to them. Knuckleheads. I wanted to bean the little bastard, but it wasn’t his fault. He was just doing what was allowed at home. God give me strength, but I hate people.

Too many kids at Red Robin for me anymore.
You sound like my wifey. She gets to liking an eatery and then poof, one bad experience and it's on her banned list. It's gotten to the point where we have to drive a half hour just to find one that is not on her list. Frankly, I'm getting damn tired of it.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You sound like my wifey. She gets to liking an eatery and then poof, one bad experience and it's on her banned list. It's gotten to the point where we have to drive a half hour just to find one that is not on her list. Frankly, I'm getting damn tired of it.
Got one like that too. Food could be great but if the interior isn't up to par then it's banned! Even found something else for not going AFTER restaurant renovated interior. SMH!

Back on topic - I like all 3. If prepared the way that I prefer, it's onion rings hands down. But, since I prefer thin sliced and a light breading, not willing to try many places. Too often it's a BIG piece of onion and when you bite down you end up pulling the rest of the onion out leaving just the breading.

Tater tots gotta be a little crunchy but make great totchos! Or cover with chili and cheese then melt. BAM!

Fries need to be double fried with skin on.

Don't get me started on fried okra!

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sticking to local places, and in order of preference:

Del Rancho crinkle fries
Braum's crinkle fries
Fatty's Smokehouse Fried Okra (RIP no longer in business, but they always fried it perfectly with small fresh pieces of Okra)
Sonic Tater Tots (not really a local company anymore though)
Johnny's Charcoal Onion Rings (very flour-y and need more salt in the batter)
Swadley's Okra (usually very soggy with woody pieces, but can be OK)

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 309559

Those look similar, that style is my preference.

My funny Onion Ring story was at a nice steak house in Chicago. I noticed you could get an onion ring on the steak, so I asked if I could get an order as an app. I was firmly denied by the waiter, so much so everyone with me took note. I ordered one on my steak, as did many others, food came, no ring for me, ask for it, never came but I did see a nice plate of rings headed out to someone that didn't have our waiter...

Very expensive meal I covered since I was out with Clients and vendors, my tip might have reflected my treatment, and the hazing I got from everyone about how good their onion rings were.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best O rings I have ever had were at the Ringside Steakhouse in Portland Oregon. I voted for O rings, but Tots rank way up there especially with breakfast. Unfortunately fries do not seem to be getting better, they need a little bit of crunch to them. Can't recall the last time I have gotten fries and haven't been disappointed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom