Fund for great grand kids

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was a young teenager my dad took out a small whole life policy for me. It was only $20/month premium. I've had other policies thru the years but I have maintained that policy for about 60 years now. Not a bad deal.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Go down to your local Edward Jones financial person and tell them what you would like to do. It's extremely cheap and the best thing we ever did financially for the kids. The 589 thing is good but there are much much better ways to grow your ggk's money.

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You could open a 529 for them. You get a state tax deduction for contributions, and if they use it for qualified higher education expenses they can withdraw it tax free, similar to ROTH IRAs for retirement. It doesn't have to be used just for college. It can also be used for vocational training.

https://www.oklahoma529.com/
Don't waste your time on a 529 plan. The rate of return is terrible. We would have been better off with an index fund and paying taxes on the gains.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I confess to spending almost as much time on an investment website as I do on OK Shooters.

For a child, a 529 is a good idea. The return on them depends on what funds are placed into them. I use Vanguard 529s focused on the projected year a child will start college/vocational education. They offer lots of other options, and the most aggressive (riskiest) returned about 22% last year. Basically, you pick what mix of index funds you want in the 529.
https://investor.vanguard.com/investment-products/list/529-portfolios
Fidelity Investments likely has similar options.

Like many states, Oklahoma allows you to deduct what was placed in a 529 from your taxable income (within limits). Thus, you save on taxes now, and the growth is federally tax free if spent on qualifying expenses. In many states, you are not limited to plans offered by your state.

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't waste your time on a 529 plan. The rate of return is terrible. We would have been better off with an index fund and paying taxes on the gains.

These are the returns in my daughters 529 account. The expense ratio for the fund I use is 0.15%, which isn’t bad. Throw in the state tax break on contributions, plus federal tax break on earnings and I’d say it’s a pretty decent deal.

IMG_4443.jpeg

I confess to spending almost as much time on an investment website as I do on OK Shooters.

Bogleheads? I visit there on occasion, but more and more it seems like the people who post there are asking things like “is $500,000 enough in my child’s 529?”, and “my parents gifted me $1,000,000. What should I do with it?” I’m finding less useful information for my investing abilities and style.

For a child, a 529 is a good idea. The return on them depends on what funds are placed into them. I use Vanguard 529s focused on the projected year a child will start college/vocational education. They offer lots of other options, and the most aggressive (riskiest) returned about 22% last year. Basically, you pick what mix of index funds you want in the 529.
https://investor.vanguard.com/investment-products/list/529-portfolios
Fidelity Investments likely has similar options.

Like many states, Oklahoma allows you to deduct what was placed in a 529 from your taxable income (within limits). Thus, you save on taxes now, and the growth is federally tax free if spent on qualifying expenses. In many states, you are not limited to plans offered by your state.
Oklahoma only allows you to deduct the taxes if you contribute to the Oklahoma 529 plan, correct?

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, CoronaBorealis, I'm a Boglehead. There's some good education to be had there, and some of the questions are entertaining.

I live in Arizona (own land/hunt in Oklahoma), so I'm no expert on OK 529 rules. You may be right about only getting an OK tax deduction if funding an Oklahoma 529. That's likely why they are so generous with the deduction limit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom