Game Warden Power ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is the short version without me having to cite state laws, case laws, and supreme court decisions. GW "power" isnt any greater than any other State LEO, GW has jurisdiction throughout the entire state along with a commission from the Feds allowing the GW to enforce Fed Wildlife Laws. GW is still required to establish probable cause before any search or seizure (as we (the citizens) are supposed to be protected from unreasonable search and seizure under the Constitution). However, the law allows a GW to check for hunting/fishing permits when a subject has been participating in such act. And yes, a GW can enter on private property when a reasonable suspicion warrants that hunting/fishing activities and/or violations of such may be or could be occurring or have occurred.

Well, Saturday evening I was standing by my truck on private property,about 60 yards inside a locked gate. My rifle was in a locked toolbox, and I was getting rain gear out. GW pulls up, parks in front of gate, crosses fence and walks over to my truck. Asks for license, I hand it to him, we chat a minute and he leaves.
What PC did he have to cross over on private property? I had no gun out, and had not put orange on at the time he pulled up. I was thinking about this thread when I saw him pull up, but I was more interested in killing deer than seeing how the GW would react if I told him he wasn't welcome to cross the fence just because he saw a truck parked there.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As stated earlier, he did not have authority except you complied without question. Because you had nothing to hide and wanted to go about your business.

ousoonerfan22

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no problem with a warden checking me and I'm glad to see them working the area's I hunt but I don't want to deal with no bad attitude or treat me like I'm a violator I can't stand a poacher and I don't want to be treated like one.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have no problem with a warden checking me and I'm glad to see them working the area's I hunt but I don't want to deal with no bad attitude or treat me like I'm a violator I can't stand a poacher and I don't want to be treated like one.

I agree 100%, and I'm not real cool with LEOs coming onto private property without good cause.

Latest posts

Top Bottom