Game Warden Power ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No! Say it ain't so!

Actually, 99% of GWs I've come in contact with have been great guys. Even when one (mistakenly) thought I had committed a violation, he acted with courtesy and professionalism.
There's one in my area now, however that does seem to think he's really special. He stays in his truck mostly, unless he's at a fast food joint.

I don't mean any of it negatively towards any wardens. In fact I know a good number of the wardens in western Oklahoma and have worked with several of them on countless occasions. The FB page seems to be portraying the "without us, wildlife conservation wouldn't exist". When in reality, the law enforcement side of things is only a piece of the puzzle in the over picture of wildlife conservation across the state.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Justin_h635 mentioned a post on the GW facebook page to me today. I'd heard that some guys got busted duck hunting on Salt Plains last Sunday, knew a few details but their page details it quite well. We were only a little over a mile from the lake/refuge, and heard them shooting that Sunday morning. At one point we did comment that somebody was getting in a lot of shooting, and that there must be some birds coming off the lake..............but we were seeing zero come off of the lake.........and I guess they weren't coming off of the lake, that's where they were shooting them, right off the lake on the refuge! lol!!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Okla...fe-Conservation-Game-Wardens/1509160606001482

Looks like they were in to shooting shore birds and coots too!!! The ultimate kick in the nuts..........fined for shooting a coot!!

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_poachedgwbirds_zps9171a79a.jpg

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many years ago I took a college class about wildlife law enforcement. One of the things that stuck with me concerned fishing. If you're sitting at the edge of a lake with fishing poles, GW can check your license. If you don't have a license there actually has to be a hook in the water before he can write you for fishing without one. As long as all hooks are dry you are not fishing. However, if you go back to the truck and get your telephone device he can write you immediately. You don't have to put the leads in the water and turn the crank to get a ticket. Mind you now, that was many years ago and my memory is weak, so don't take what I said to the bank. Laws may have changed or I might have remembered it wrong.

As far as searching vehicles without probable cause, I really don't know. I do know of GW's that are assisting in traffic roadblocks. They search your car for game violations. If they find pot or drugs, they can't do anything about it. But they can inform the Sheriff or HP about illegal items found during a legal search. Then the Sheriff or HP can search it. Legal or not, I don't know. I do know it would PO me if while driving out to feed my son's cows, and was stopped and searched by a GW.

I was a school teacher/bus driver several years ago. While taking my last stop home I noticed the local GW crossing a fence into a pasture. I dropped of the kid, turned around and headed back. A couple hundred yards from the road he was parked on I reached down, turned the key off and back on three times. Three extremely loud backfires. When I got to the road, he was hung up astraddle of the fence, trying to get back to his pickup to chase down the "poacher."

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many years ago I took a college class about wildlife law enforcement. One of the things that stuck with me concerned fishing. If you're sitting at the edge of a lake with fishing poles, GW can check your license. If you don't have a license there actually has to be a hook in the water before he can write you for fishing without one. As long as all hooks are dry you are not fishing. However, if you go back to the truck and get your telephone device he can write you immediately. You don't have to put the leads in the water and turn the crank to get a ticket. Mind you now, that was many years ago and my memory is weak, so don't take what I said to the bank. Laws may have changed or I might have remembered it wrong.

As far as searching vehicles without probable cause, I really don't know. I do know of GW's that are assisting in traffic roadblocks. They search your car for game violations. If they find pot or drugs, they can't do anything about it. But they can inform the Sheriff or HP about illegal items found during a legal search. Then the Sheriff or HP can search it. Legal or not, I don't know. I do know it would PO me if while driving out to feed my son's cows, and was stopped and searched by a GW.

I was a school teacher/bus driver several years ago. While taking my last stop home I noticed the local GW crossing a fence into a pasture. I dropped of the kid, turned around and headed back. A couple hundred yards from the road he was parked on I reached down, turned the key off and back on three times. Three extremely loud backfires. When I got to the road, he was hung up astraddle of the fence, trying to get back to his pickup to chase down the "poacher."

Possession of a shocking device is illegal and is prima facie evidence.

Latest posts

Top Bottom