Garage floor storm shelter co. recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
THanks for the catch...Yes it is communication federal...easy to become a member, and process is painless, did everything over the phone and web.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
same here, but if we got a tornado in the neighborhood, I am thinking it will feel different. Now there is no threat, so it is just a metal box...a hot box at that right now.

OKIE-CARBINE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
im thinking it would be a lo cheaper to just rent a backhoe and dig the hole yourself. form up some forms and pour some concrete. just need some plywood and 2x4s. and you could make it big enough that a family could actually be comfortable in. only thing that might be trouble is the roof/door. hmm.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
im thinking it would be a lo cheaper to just rent a backhoe and dig the hole yourself. form up some forms and pour some concrete. just need some plywood and 2x4s. and you could make it big enough that a family could actually be comfortable in. only thing that might be trouble is the roof/door. hmm.

I thought that for a little while. Then, doing some concrete work for a living, I started tallying it up: Mini-excavator, 2x4s, plywood, assorted hardware, rebar, rebar bender/cutter, rebar ties, wet saw, pry bars, shovel work, concrete truck, sealant you can apply from the inside to prevent it filling up with water, some form of lid, and a weekend of sweat...and after all that I'd have something bubba'd up in the garage floor that wouldn't pass code and would cause more trouble than it's worth when/if I ever tried to sell the house.

Now if I could've found someone who would've sold me the shelter...the cutting, digging, and pouring would've been an easier proposition. But I couldn't find anyone who would just sell me a shelter.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought that for a little while. Then, doing some concrete work for a living, I started tallying it up: Mini-excavator, 2x4s, plywood, assorted hardware, rebar, rebar bender/cutter, rebar ties, wet saw, pry bars, shovel work, concrete truck, sealant you can apply from the inside to prevent it filling up with water, some form of lid, and a weekend of sweat...and after all that I'd have something bubba'd up in the garage floor that wouldn't pass code and would cause more trouble than it's worth when/if I ever tried to sell the house.

Now if I could've found someone who would've sold me the shelter...the cutting, digging, and pouring would've been an easier proposition. But I couldn't find anyone who would just sell me a shelter.
I agree. I rent equipment for a living. I can bring home the concrete saw and mini-exc for free. I can't get them to sell me the shelter at the cost the shelter places get them. I rent to the guys who install them everyday.

Latest posts

Top Bottom