Garage floor storm shelter co. recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super_soph198

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With Ground Zero the price goes down after the summer due to demand decreasing. We had ours installed in January and it was somewhere around 2100 but jumped to 2800 if we waited til March. They did a great job cleaned up their mess and were done in a few hours. We were short just a few hundred and they let us pay them in installments. Very flexible and we were able to schedule them pretty easy due to the timing.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was going to update this along time ago, but forgot. I am happy with it. The guys did a great job and cleaned up when they were done.
i785.photobucket.com_albums_yy137_Biggsly_photobucket_40914_1345929630130.jpg

i785.photobucket.com_albums_yy137_Biggsly_photobucket_51028_1345929610490.jpg

USN-SCW-Ret

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CALL NOW! The timing is right, just before storm season!
We called Flatsafe less than a week ago, signed the building permit on Friday and they are coming out tomorrow afternoon to install. We are getting the 8 man FRP Composite cellar. The price sheet posted in this thread is still current price list. They offered some sort of payment plan but I wasn't interested and they offered $100 off if paid by check or cash ($3450 installed). Call now while business is slow and get your hidey hole installed in less than a week!

Peace_Maker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Benny1pics 535.jpg

That is my truck in my garage. If I had a garage floor shelter it would have been under that truck and blocked by all that crap. I seriously recomend a diffrent shelter if it is possible. A garage shelter is better than a bathroom but when I rebuild I'm going with a big shelter in the backyard. Both my neighbors had them and both were trapped.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is my truck in my garage. If I had a garage floor shelter it would have been under that truck and blocked by all that crap....Both my neighbors had them and both were trapped.

First off....my thoughts and prayers out to you. Sorry you got hit, but glad you are ok.

Second...as far as the debris and being "trapped". How long were they trapped? They got out right? As far as I'm concerned, the point of those underground shelters is to save your life, not keep you comfortable. Sweating in a box for a few hours is better than being dead/seriously injured?

Putting a below ground in the backyard is no guarantee. I helped a coworker sort through his debris. His backyard was full of someone else's house. The only shelter design I see debris being less of an issue with is an above ground with inward opening door....but the cost of one of those is prohibitive compared to an in-ground model....and even then debris can still block the door.

I guess what I'm saying is that the possibility of being stuck in a shelter is not a plus or minus for me really. I want it to keep me and my family safe from the storm. I can take precautions to mitigate the impact of being stuck inside for a short period of time.

Capo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The above ground shelters are tested f5 250mph. All three ofthe tornados the part two weeks were250 plus. I want and can afford an above ground. But the el Reno storm was 295mph. How safe is it.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going with an outdoor concrete in-ground shelter. I spent last friday night in a friend's Ground Zero in-garage shelter. The "12 man" shelter was a tight fit for 4 adults and 3 toddlers. No ventilation = sweated our asses off for two hours.

The outdoor ones have ventilation, more space, and are much cheaper. When I was at Steve's Wholesale Tools today on Santa Fe, I saw they had a 6'x8' unit out on display for $2500 installed.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going with an outdoor concrete in-ground shelter. I spent last friday night in a friend's Ground Zero in-garage shelter. The "12 man" shelter was a tight fit for 4 adults and 3 toddlers. No ventilation = sweated our asses off for two hours.

The outdoor ones have ventilation, more space, and are much cheaper. When I was at Steve's Wholesale Tools today on Santa Fe, I saw they had a 6'x8' unit out on display for $2500 installed.

This is the type of shelter that I want too. I looked at this one at Steve's and was not impressed. The door latch looks flimsy as hell and I'm thinking that the seam (it's cast in two separate pieces) is just asking for leaks. My next door neighbor has this type but it was dug, formed up and cast in one piece right there. I've been in it twice inside of two weeks and it doesn't leak a drop after 15 years. I only wish the guy that built it was still in business. :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom