Garand makeover questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shifty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So my beautiful baby is gettin on up in years and needs some love. I decided some of my deployment money is gonna go toward her. Its not an all correct gun, thus putting new parts on it isnt gonna hurt the value. Not looking to spend gazillions of dollars here and come out with a showroom piece. Those of you that know me know my gun is a shooter, and wont stay perfect.

Stock is cracked completly through, and needs to be replaced. Not looking for a particular finish here. Actually considering getting an unfinished one and doin it up myself, or with a little bit of help. Only concern here is something that fits well. Ive heard stories of guys buying a stock and then having to spend alot of time making things fit properly. Any recommendations?

More importantly is a barrel. I dont know how many rounds mine had fired through it before I bought it but I know Ive put several thousand flawless rounds through it myself and its starting to open up. Considering mabye a match grade.

Anyone had work like this done before and have a recomendation on who to take it to? For the barrel at least, can probably pull off the restocking myself. Like I said, not looking to make a museum piece here. This gun gets taken to the range and woods ALOT. Just looking for something functional and accurate. Thanks for any info.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well when you get the stock ready for finish, here's a good one.

Boiled Linseed Oil
Add a little pure beeswax
Add some turpentine (around 15 to 20% by volume)

Warm this up a little to mix the beeswax in good and apply the first few coats warm. It will penetrate deeper. The linseed oil is period correct, looks great and it's easy to touch up when needed. Just let each coat dry thoroughly and put on as many as you want.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Are you wanting to do this when you get back, or maybe want to have a friend oversee some work while you are overseas?

Depending on that answer I have some ideas, and the wheels are turning...

Shifty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you wanting to do this when you get back, or maybe want to have a friend oversee some work while you are overseas?

Depending on that answer I have some ideas, and the wheels are turning...

Hmm...I actually might be interested in that. Thata way itd be ready for me to start poppin away with when I get home.

We'll talk. Bwaha

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chrome lined barrels are real nice, so much easier to clean and they don't pit like unlined barrels do. Not famaliar with those fulton does but they have a good reputation.

You might also be able to have your barrel lined, have you considered that?