Garand makeover questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have to find a place for a battery pack if we do that.

Short chambering is short for "NOT A DROP IN"
I do not have a lathe so I couldn't do it but chamber reamers are often rented out instead of purchased by a lot of gunsmiths with lathes.

According to the Brownells labor survey the cost to chamber and fit barrel to reciever should be $150 to $250

Shifty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have to find a place for a battery pack if we do that.

Short chambering is short for "NOT A DROP IN"
I do not have a lathe so I couldn't do it but chamber reamers are often rented out instead of purchased by a lot of gunsmiths with lathes.

According to the Brownells labor survey the cost to chamber and fit barrel to reciever should be $150 to $250

Thats not to bad, and if done right im sure could help out accuracy.

I guess a question Im gonna need to ask eventually is, does anyone have any recommendations for a smith to do the work?

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These are made by Krieger. Only question I have is what exactly this ".010 short chambered" business? And will that add alot to insallation costs?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=969531

You can find them here too and I believe cheaper. https://estore.odcmp.com/store/cata...x=&note1=&note2=&note3=&note4=&note5=&max=The

The chamber has been reamed .010" short so when the barrel is installed on the action with your bolt you will need to finish ream the barrel to the proper dimension. The reaming is done with a pull through reamer.

I'd recommend this book which you can find on Fulton Armory's website.

The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide

Now you can build your own M1 Garand

by Walt Kuleck with Clint McKee

Shifty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I second the CMP. Are you set up to buy from them?

If not, you owe it to yourself to look into it. They have great deals on complete rifles, as well as all the parts for them (including new reproduction stocks, as was mentioned above). In my experience, the prices are better than what you'll see elsewhere.

You normally have to provide proof of marksmanship training and membership in a marksmanship organization, but your military status counts for both of those. You still have to show them your miilitary ID, and proof of US citizenship to become a member and be able to buy from them.

check it out:
http://www.thecmp.org/

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Honeybee did mine up great. I really need to get some more close up pics of it to post.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]