Garand makeover questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I second the CMP. Are you set up to buy from them?

If not, you owe it to yourself to look into it. They have great deals on complete rifles, as well as all the parts for them (including new reproduction stocks, as was mentioned above). In my experience, the prices are better than what you'll see elsewhere.

You normally have to provide proof of marksmanship training and membership in a marksmanship organization, but your military status counts for both of those. You still have to show them your miilitary ID, and proof of US citizenship to become a member and be able to buy from them.

check it out:
http://www.thecmp.org/

For anybody that isn't military, Red Castle Gun Club is having a CMP match on May 1. Its a basic match that meets the requirements needed to sign up for the CMP sales program. Check RedCastle's website: www.tulsaredcastlegunclub.com for information.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's the original stock (as far as I can tell). It was pretty rough looking before I took it to Don. I told him I wanted it restored, not just refinished. I believe he called it his A-1 finish with character. He could answer what the finish is better than I could, but to me it's just beautiful.

The "model" is Tams72 on OSA (good friend).

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This was at USSA and the target was an IDPA paper target (no steel). This was strictly a photo op and only 8 rounds were fired.

USSA is what I meant :slap:

I was just envisioning shooting my M1 at the 25-yard plinking range at Red Castle. That'd get me some glares from the other shooters, I bet ;)

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice! The gun looks pretty sweet too. Is that a GI stock and what kind of finish did Honeybee use?

That stock had a lot of oil, grease and the debris that it will hold filling up and oozing out of the wood pores.

The first thing I did was to clean the wood in VM&P Naptha, and then again with Lacquer thinner. Important that it is done in that order.

Next I steamed out some of the unsightly dents. This stock had seen battle and it would not have been right to make it smooth or try to take away the character of the wood, just clean it up some.

I used a pigmented stain to enhance the beauty of the wood without making it to dark to see the grain.

The final coating was a penetrating oil with a varnish base dryer, first 3 coats were brushed on and allowed to soak in, then after a light sanding which removes airborn dust and fills the pores with a mixture of wood dust and oil varnish, then I hand rubbed the next 3 or 4 coats which contained more varnish base than oil.

I do not remember if this one got the wax job but my next step is usually to apply a polishing wax with steel wool and then buff it up with a cotton or flanel cloth.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That stock had a lot of oil, grease and the debris that it will hold filling up and oozing out of the wood pores.

The first thing I did was to clean the wood in VM&P Naptha, and then again with Lacquer thinner. Important that it is done in that order.

Next I steamed out some of the unsightly dents. This stock had seen battle and it would not have been right to make it smooth or try to take away the character of the wood, just clean it up some.

I used a pigmented stain to enhance the beauty of the wood without making it to dark to see the grain.

The final coating was a penetrating oil with a varnish base dryer, first 3 coats were brushed on and allowed to soak in, then after a light sanding which removes airborn dust and fills the pores with a mixture of wood dust and oil varnish, then I hand rubbed the next 3 or 4 coats which contained more varnish base than oil.

I do not remember if this one got the wax job but my next step is usually to apply a polishing wax with steel wool and then buff it up with a cotton or flanel cloth.

Yeah that's how I would have done it too... :uhh: :lookaroun

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
USSA is what I meant :slap:

I was just envisioning shooting my M1 at the 25-yard plinking range at Red Castle. That'd get me some glares from the other shooters, I bet ;)

Only when all the debris started beating on the roof of the firing line like a hailstorm! :)

Like I said, beautiful! :)

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No Im not set up to buy from the CMP, been meaning to for quite some time. I'll have to check into it.

Glocktogo - You bought that rifle with that stock correct?

Yep. Got it from AKguy1985. It's a 1955 HRA with some Springfield parts in it, but it appears that the stock and handguards are original to the gun (unless an armorer specifically refurbed it with an HRA stock). I sent detailed pics to another member of the assemblies and he said it wouldn't take too much to make it a correct grade, which I may do someday. I just got in 5 cans of Greek M2 ball from CMP, so I'm gonna shoot her some before I do anything else! :)