Gardens 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shared earlier this spring I was going to plant a couple of the super hot peppers this year.

For the record I like a good jalapeño and even a habanero. Not so much on the hotter ones that basically kill your tastebuds. 😂🤣😆

But here I went anyway.

The Carolina Reaper and Bhut Jokokia are here.
Plan is to dry them and chop them up into a powder for seasoning. (I’m thinking extremely low amounts 😂🤣😆)

IMG_8407.jpeg
IMG_8408.jpeg

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally got a couple of cantaloupe to let go of the trellis! Funny thing is we got one about a month ago and it was really good/sweet. Have had 8-10 on the vines since and wasn't until the big rain did a couple fall. Can't wait to try them!

Garden is just about done. Still getting lots of okra but they're smaller - same with tomatoes and peppers. Left a few carrots in the ground and still taste good but gotta peel some of the roots/hairs off.
cantaloupe 2024.jpg

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My preferred method of growing cantaloupe and cucumber. A 16’ cattle panel bent and anchored in an arch. If you put plenty of hay etc underneath the ripe cantaloupe drop to the ground without damage or you can do as I and make little ‘Bras’ out of garden netting. Solves the problem of insects destroying the fruit on the ground as well as not easily finding them in the weeds/vines

Attachments

• IMG_5106.jpeg
    IMG_5106.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5105.jpeg
    IMG_5105.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My preferred method of growing cantaloupe and cucumber. A 16’ cattle panel bent and anchored in an arch. If you put plenty of hay etc underneath the ripe cantaloupe drop to the ground without damage or you can do as I and make little ‘Bras’ out of garden netting. Solves the problem of insects destroying the fruit on the ground as well as not easily finding them in the weeds/vines
GREAT IDEAS! This is my first year growing cantaloupe on a trellis since I don't have the ground space they need or will take. Gotten a few with another 7-8 on the vines. After that big rain they just took off!
cantaloupe 2024.jpg

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GREAT IDEAS! This is my first year growing cantaloupe on a trellis since I don't have the ground space they need or will take. Gotten a few with another 7-8 on the vines. After that big rain they just took off!View attachment 502818
Cantaloupe is probably my favorite garden crop. I baby those plants like no other. I also have found the only variety I'll plant now is Ambrosia. I have to order the seeds and they aren't cheap but in my opinion there is no comparison to other varieties

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Latest on my new (for this year) strawberry bed.
This variety is Sparkle, I think they were developed at U of Arkansas. These are third year daughter plants coming off in force. They’ll be planted in the new bed directly behind them in this picture. I’ve harvested some daughter plants earlier and between the two bunches I’ll have more than enough to fill up the other bed and give some away to friends.

IMG_8873.jpeg

I had the boards and buckets. And the containers are leftovers from other plants/flowers.

IMG_8872.jpeg

It’s temporary and it works. I’ll clip them off and plant them in the other bed in a couple weeks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom