• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Gas saver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shottyshooter90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
My wife is taking a new job and going to be commuting after working from home the last 10 years. Were looking for a decent 4 door car for her to drive back and forth rather than her F150. Figured id put the feelers out here incase anyone knows of anything. Facebook marketplace is littered with cars from buy here pay here dealers, we'd rather buy from an individual.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Rating - 98.7%
77   1   0
How much will a gas saver cost compared to how much money you’ll spend on fuel?

I wouldn’t spend $15,000+ on a car that gets good gas mileage if I have a paid off or almost paid off vehicle that doesn’t get good fuel mileage. I doubt you’d spend $15,000+ on fuel in a year or even two or three years. 🤷🏼‍♂️

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
69   0   0

I wouldn’t spend $15,000+ on a car that gets good gas mileage if I have a paid off or almost paid off vehicle that doesn’t get good fuel mileage. I doubt you’d spend $15,000+ on fuel in a year or even two or three years. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I always put the pencit to it like that and then add in insurance and tag costs and whatever you do research the MPG.
There are some places that say it gets a certain MPG but multiple owners input is best.

I love this sight to find MPG figures.
https://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/corolla/1995
I did 95 corolla because I have one and have 375,000 miles on it and have tested many different oils and air pressures in tires and it makes a huge difference in mpg in these little gas sipper 4 cylinders.

27 MPG with cheap conventional oil and as much as 35 MPG with great synthetic.
Cheaper synthetic 29 MPG on a 44 psi max air pressure rated tire if I air them to 44 I get 35 MPG with best oil.
Deflate them to 36 psi and it is 5 MPG less!!!

On my 6000 lb v8 vehicle I see 2 MPG difference in oils.

Beware CVT transmissions are not known to go very far in life.
I told the wife we will never own a vehicle with one of those.
Only because the conventional transmissions when you take care of them can outlast the engine.

I can't tell you what to get but I love my 1.8 Toyota engines and the auto trans behind them.

Shottyshooter90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0

Every vehicle we have is paid off. Her truck is a nice pickup that would be costly to replace so we hate to run the miles up on it. I’d rather find something for 6-8 grand and rack the miles up on that.

Shottyshooter90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I always put the pencit to it like that and then add in insurance and tag costs and whatever you do research the MPG.
There are some places that say it gets a certain MPG but multiple owners input is best.

I did 95 corolla because I have one and have 375,000 miles on it and have tested many different oils and air pressures in tires and it makes a huge difference in mpg in these little gas sipper 4 cylinders.

Cheaper synthetic 29 MPG on a 44 psi max air pressure rated tire if I air them to 44 I get 35 MPG with best oil.

Only because the conventional transmissions when you take care of them can outlast the engine.

I can't tell you what to get but I love my 1.8 Toyota engines and the auto trans behind them.
The Toyotas are our first choice. I’ve had a few and they’ve all been great. Currently have a Tacoma with 320k on it. Still going strong. We found a couple corrolas that we’re gonna go look at. Just trying to stay in the 6-8 thousand dollar range

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Cheaper synthetic 2
9 MPG on a 44 psi max air pressure rated tire if I air them to 44 I get 35 MPG with best oil.

What’s the cheap synthetic & great synthetic?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
What’s the cheap synthetic & great synthetic?

When I did my testing it was just after 2007 when they dropped the ZDDP in oils to below 800 PPM
for passenger car oils and I was running Mobil 1 synthetic at the time and getting 33 mpg like clock work.
My mpg dropped to 29 and I had tested many oils and that 29 was what cheap walmart synthetic would get before the year 2007.
So now I was on a search for something that would get my MPG back up.

I thought something was wrong with my car other than the new oil package.

Until I changed oil in a riding mower which also got Mobil 1 and it immediately began squealing like a dry bearing.
Dumped that oil and went Rotella conventional and my Corolla got T6 Rotella which was a heavier weight vs my 5-30 but now my mpg went to 35.

Yea 35 mpg with diesel oil.
I had tested mobil syntetic as light as 0-20 and no more MPG vs the 5-30.

Oil additive packages change yearly and I have tried Mobil Euro and high mileage recently and it is not good in my corolla or the wife's Vibe.

Ticking on start up and MPG is not there.
Believe it or NOT Pennzoil platinum and Quaker state Full synthetic in green bottle got my 33 mpg.
The New Mobil 1 29 mpg and ticking on start up.

I do not like any oil that can't cling to parts and allows ticking on start up.

My hot rods gets Driven oils by Joe Gibbs or VR1 Valvoline conventional in the silver bottle.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
When I did my testing it was just after 2007 when they dropped the ZDDP in oils to below 800 PPM
for passenger car oils and I was running Mobil 1 synthetic at the time and getting 33 mpg like clock work.
My mpg dropped to 29 and I had tested many oils and that 29 was what cheap walmart synthetic would get before the year 2007.
So now I was on a search for something that would get my MPG back up.

I thought something was wrong with my car other than the new oil package.

Until I changed oil in a riding mower which also got Mobil 1 and it immediately began squealing like a dry bearing.
Dumped that oil and went Rotella conventional and my Corolla got T6 Rotella which was a heavier weight vs my 5-30 but now my mpg went to 35.

Yea 35 mpg with diesel oil.
I had tested mobil syntetic as light as 0-20 and no more MPG vs the 5-30.

Oil additive packages change yearly and I have tried Mobil Euro and high mileage recently and it is not good in my corolla or the wife's Vibe.

Ticking on start up and MPG is not there.
Believe it or NOT Pennzoil platinum and Quaker state Full synthetic in green bottle got my 33 mpg.
The New Mobil 1 29 mpg and ticking on start up.

I do not like any oil that can't cling to parts and allows ticking on start up.

My hot rods gets Driven oils by Joe Gibbs or VR1 Valvoline conventional in the silver bottle.
Ever run Amsoil 0w(30 or 40) or JD 15w40?

Latest posts

Top Bottom