Get an ACOG?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an EOTech EXPS3-0 and I was thinking about getting a magnifier or getting an ACOG. I have looked through several ACOG's but not all the different models. What do you use/recommend for the ACOG reticle, magnification, and which color reticle? OR would you get a magnifier? I have never used a magnifier before. Thanks in advance.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To me if you want a magnified optic, get a scope with variable magnification. It never made any sense to me to get a scope without magnification and then add a second mount with magnifier and add extra weight.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me if you want a magnified optic, get a scope with variable magnification. It never made any sense to me to get a scope without magnification and then add a second mount with magnifier and add extra weight.

An Eotech HHS-II setup is 23.4 oz. A Leupold VX6 1-6x24 with a Larue LT104 is 21.6 oz. I'm sure that 1.8oz makes all the difference.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lately, for a fixed 4x power scope, I'm partial to the Elcan SpecterOS4x fixed scope. It's about $1100 and it's their newer 4x fixed power scope. I find the optics to be much clearer and brighter than ACOGs. It's almost night and day and I like the eye relief better. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012/01/09/elcan-specteros4x-fixed-four-power-combat-gun-sight/

You can get these with the chevron reticle or the European ballistic cross style reticle.

With that said, 1-4x and 1-6x scopes offer a ton of versatility, especially if it's a 1 rifle do it all type setup.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have two AR's set up with ACOGs, both ACOG/RMR combos. One is a 4x32 with a red chevron reticle and a 3.25 MOA amber dot dual illumination RMR and the other a 3.5x35 with a red cross hair reticle and a 3.25 MOA amber dot dual illumination RMR. They are, in my opinion, the best overall optic available for the AR. They have just the right amount of magnification for most uses, are almost indestructible and with the RMR attached it's easy and fast for up close shots. They are expensive but worth it and if I had it to all over again I would buy the same scope without a second thought.

Personally I prefer the 3.5x35 over the 4x32 because of the wider field of view and you can't really notice the .5 less magnification of the 3.5. I also prefer the red reticle over the other colors and the cross hair reticle over the other styles. The ACOG and especially the ACOG/RMR combo's are definitely my favorite for AR's being used as most are.

The EoTech is a very good sight but I don't like the idea of dealing with flip up magnifiers. Same with the Aimpoint, excellent optic but you have to use an additional magnifier if you want the extra magnification. I do use a Vortex Strikefire red dot on my HK MP5 SD 22 but it has an included screw in magnifier which I just keep screwed on and for a plinker it works extremely well. The Vortex Strikefire is, in my opinion, one of the best optics for the money available today.

I use a Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20 Hog scope with the FireDot equipped "PigPlex" reticle on my .50 Beowulf and it is a awesome scope. These scopes are so sweet I was left amazed after its first use and I get the same reaction from anyone who's tried it. They are a bit pricey but well worth the price in my opinion.

My last AR is my long range shooter 6.5 Grendel so she's sporting a big Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x50, not exactly what you would want for your average .223/5.56 AR15.

So would I get an ACOG? Well, I bought two ACOG/RMR combos, both a bit pricey (just a shade under $1,900 per unit) but definitely worth it if you have the money, I'd buy them all over again so that's what I recommend. Obviously an ACOG without the RMR and RMR mount can be obtained for much less.

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
dustin: I wanted to help my distance shots, every little bit of magnification helps.
aestus: Thanks, I didn't think about the Elcan, will definitely do some research
Brandi: Thanks for the feedback, that helped a lot. I have only used the green chevron and red half donut, the cross hair reticle seems intriguing.

Thanks all for the feedback.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I'm not a fan of the fixed power scopes. I really like the versatility of the 1-4 (or 1 to whatever) power scopes. The coolest one I have owned was the Elcan 1-4x but it was on the heavy side and was pricey. I can buy almost 4 PST 1-4x for the price of the elcan or ACOG/RMR setup.

With that being said, I am faster with my aimpoint rds then the 1-4x up close. But we are talking fractions of a second. Now, on the further end around 200 yards, I am 2+ full seconds faster with the 1-4x set on 4x then the aimpoint rds. Compared to my buddies ACOG, I'm dead even on times at the longer ranges, but I'm faster with the 1-4x at closer ranges then the ACOG. I think the 1 to whatever power scopes that are produced these days are the most versatile optics on the market.

edit: I forgot to add, I have also used the aimpoint with a 3x magnifier. This setup worked pretty well and I still have it just in case I decide to go back. I ran an aimpoint twist mount with a 3x in a pouch. Most of the stuff I'm shooting is 100 yards in where the aimpoint shines. And if I want to shoot further, I just twist on the magnifier. I like the reticles in the 1-4x though so I can have hold references over just a floating dot.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with jakerz... I have messed around with ACOGs plenty, but prefer a variable power tube bodied optic. I do however love the ACOG's reticle. I wish there were more options in a tube bodied scope with that sort of ranging + BDC reticle.

CharlieMurphy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get the minicog, the 1.5x ACOG, preferably with the green circle dot reticle. The 3.5x is much better than the 4x but for closer work the 1.5x is it. No batteries like the Eotech and aimpoint, huge eye box and relief, and that little bit of magnification helps a lot. I don't know why they don't push them harder, everyone that looks at it loves it. Harsh Firearms in Norman has several in stock plus some 3.5x if your in the area and want to compare them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom