Getting a new carry gun, need info

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought for sure you would point out my hypocracy in considering the eclipse ultra II,... considering my previous statements about Kimber.

I HAVE been slacking lately I guess. I was in the same compact boat awhile back. I still wouldn't mind a Colt officers model, but I've really been impressed with both my EMPs. If you ever head this way you're welcome to shoot either before McNellies. :D

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's the two summer CCWs I'm looking at:

Para Carry 9
Sig P239 SAS Gen 2

Both are single stacks and are built specifically for CC. I'm leaning toward the Sig since I can pick and choose the caliber. I'm also looking at a S&W 649, but that's another story.

Para Carry 9:

Caliber: 9mm
Rounds: 8+1
Barrel: 3"
Weight: 24 oz.
Length: 6.5"
Height: 4.75"
Hammer: Spurless
Sights: Fiber-Optic Front/2-Dot Rear
Receiver: Alloy
Finish: Covert Black
Magazine: PCN79P
MSRP: $999.00

Sig P239 SAS Gen 2:

Caliber 9mm or .40S&W, .357SIG
Action Type DA/SA
Trigger Pull DA 10.0 lbs
Trigger Pull SA 4.4 lbs
Overall Length 6.6 in
Overall Height 5.1 in
Overall Width 1.2 in
Barrel Length 3.6 in
Sight Radius 5.2 in
Weight w/Mag 29.5 oz
Mag Capacity 8 Rounds (9mm) 7 Rounds (.40S&W, .357SIG)
Sights SIGLITE® Night Sights
Grips Black Polymer Factory Grips
Frame Finish Black Hard Anodized
Slide Finish Stainless
Accessory Rail No
Features Dehorned, Custom Shop Model
MSRP $1,006.00 (9mm) $1,050.00 (.357SIG - .40S&W)

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]

If you're wanting steel and small, Rohrbaugh is the only way to go. It will set you back $1000 but its the ultimate CCW 9mm. I still use the Glock 26 but one of these days Rohrbaugh it is!

Reaction score
Depends highly upon your method of carry, which is going to be ________?

skinny slides for IWB and smartcarry (Kahr, 1911, BHP, HK P7, Taurus 709, Walther PPS, Rohrbaugh, etc.);

fatter ones ok for OWB and other (XD, M&P, CZ 75 compact, other less-trim 2-stacks).

Also a big component of the choice re: an SAO w/manual like a 1911: Do you train to disengage the manual in a second nature fashion? If you don't then carry it with manual disengaged or run with a DAO, DA/SA, or pre-sprung DAO. I don't train enough to carry an SAO with manual engaged, but that's no problem for me, since I carry 1911s with the manual disengaged: point n click just like my CZs. :)

Reaction score
That's correct. There are at least 3 safeties still engaged carrying cocked and UNlocked: The grip safety, the holster covering the trigger guard, and my brain. YMMV, but I know at least one 1911 EXPERT 'smith who endorses this method - 100% safe if YOU are. People go into eplileptic seizures when you tell them this, but that's just due to inertia/tradition. The reality is that it's no less safe than carrying any other pistol without a manual safety - when the holster covers the trigger guard, it is utterly irrelevant how long and/or heavy the trigger pull is. In fact, it's SAFER than a gun with no safety, since it actually has a safety engaged - the grip safety. The grip safety makes it drop-safe, too.

Procedure is: Load. Safety on. Holster. Safety Off. Carry. (then in reverse). Safety On. Unholster. Do whatever. This way the safety is on while holstering and unholstering.

ArmyJohn88

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally I like the size and feel of the Kahr CW40. Gives you knock down power with a small and thin frame, good size and not hard to keep on target. Very easy to conceal due to how thin it is. Recommend upgrading to the night sights though. Good trigger as well.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't train enough to carry an SAO with manual engaged, but that's no problem for me, since I carry 1911s with the manual disengaged: point n click just like my CZs

Just to put things in perspective.

but I know at least one 1911 EXPERT 'smith who endorses this method - 100% safe if YOU are.

No "expert" would tell you anything is 100% safe when it comes to training. Just sayin.

Reaction score
Well that's true, nothing is 100% safe. But it's as safe as anything else. Would you like me to put you in touch with this gentleman, so you can ask him? He goes by 1911 Tuner on another board.

And what I mean is I don't train enough WITH a 1911 (i.e. train on disengaging a manual safety while drawing - no need to, for the reasons given). I do train 'enough' with a DA/SA (CZ 75), depending upon one's definition of 'enough'. In fact, my range doesn't allow drawing from a holster, so there's a pretty good reason I don't rely upon this method of carry. If you can't train like you're gonna 'play' in the real game, then you shouldn't do it, IMO. I don't think you should mix and match pistol action types unless you're *really* well-trained on the crossover. Well I don't carry my 1911s *much*, but I love them and so when/if I do, I'm not gonna change the manual of arms that could get me killed - and why should I when it's safe to carry in this way?

Anyway, back to the original topic....

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well that's true, nothing is 100% safe. But it's as safe as anything else.

That's not true either and shows an amount of ignorance to the basic design of 1911s. The thumb safety not only blocks the trigger, but also blocks the sear from releasing the hammer. This is a big difference from the GS that just inhibits trigger bow movement.

Carry condition 0 if you like, it's your world.... but don't relay misinformation as fact.

I'll forgo the percieved expert reference. Most real world 1911 shooters and intstructors that carry 1911s that I've met or know, carry condition one. For every "expert" you quote on the net that advocates condition 0, I can find you 50 times more that advocate condition 1.

And what I mean is I don't train enough WITH a 1911 (i.e. train on disengaging a manual safety while drawing - no need to, for the reasons given). I do train 'enough' with a DA/SA (CZ 75), depending upon one's definition of 'enough'. In fact, my range doesn't allow drawing from a holster, so there's a pretty good reason I don't rely upon this method of carry. If you can't train like you're gonna 'play' in the real game, then you shouldn't do it, IMO. I don't think you should mix and match pistol action types unless you're *really* well-trained on the crossover. Well I don't carry my 1911s *much*, but I love them and so when/if I do, I'm not gonna change the manual of arms that could get me killed - and why should I when it's safe to carry in this way?

Snap caps + dry fire at home, problem solved. Condition 0 isn't an excuse for less training.

Latest posts

Top Bottom