Glock 23 and IWB Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have (and love) my G23, I think it is one of the best all around guns made. That being said, I HATE CARRYING IT!

Something about its "blocky-ness" or something makes it difficult to conceal. Or should I say, more difficult to conceal.

I carry it in either a Summer Special or a UBG Canute (Watch Six style) holster and the end of the slide always seems to stick out through my shirt. One time I even tore a hole in my shirt when I rubbed up against something with the back end of the slide.

Both of these holsters are canted and that seems to make the back end of the slide stick out more. Maybe I should try something with less cant?

I am 5-9 180 pounds and would classify myself as kind of "thin". I would imagine if I had a gut them it wouldn't be as noticeable. :)

I really like the UBG Canute and it is comfortable all day long but I seem to be constantly trying to keep the end of the slide from poking its ugly little head through my shirt.

Any advice?

BC

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a G19 and ran into the same problem! I usually carry my G27 and for some reason the longer grip on the 19 made me feel like the gun was blatently obvious. Never could get past it mentally so it became a range gun that I recently sold. Many carry the G19 & 23 so they should be able to offer some advice.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Where are you carrying? You should get a good belt if you don't already have one. You need stiffness to hold the gun in tight. If you don't have one you'd be amazed how much difference it would make in carry comfort.

I can carry my G19 at either 2 or 3.30-4. I use just a Uncle mikes IWB (for now) and a Looper leather belt. At 2, the butt of the gun is a little bit of a problem, but nothing I can't hide behind a Tshirt. Just behind the hip there is no problem at all unless I bend over.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where are you carrying? You should get a good belt if you don't already have one. You need stiffness to hold the gun in tight. If you don't have one you'd be amazed how much difference it would make in carry comfort.

I can carry my G19 at either 2 or 3.30-4. I use just a Uncle mikes IWB (for now) and a Looper leather belt. At 2, the butt of the gun is a little bit of a problem, but nothing I can't hide behind a Tshirt. Just behind the hip there is no problem at all unless I bend over.

I carry at 3 o'clock and I have a very good belt. Holding the gun tight really isn't the issue it is that the rear end of the slide sticks out (forward). If I move it around to 4 o'clock that issue is solved slightly but then the butt of the grip tends to print more when you bend.

I know, I know, "can this guy be satisfied?" :) I just don't have this problem with the same exact setup (holster, position etc.) with my Kimber Pro Carry.

BC

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My two primary carries are G27 & G23. These are my lessons learned with the 23. When I use an IWB holster that has an attaching point behind the gun, such as an MTAC, it forces the rear outside corner of the slide outward. I'm picturing that's what is happening to you. My problem is I'm 5'9" 200lbs and love haddles no matter what I've weighed. I carry at the 3:00-3:30 position. It's been about a year and a half since I've started carrying and this is my current knowledge thus far.
1) It takes a while and some money to figure what is going to work for you. I'm a little short-waisted so the G22/G35 are out. This took a few holsters, time, trial and error to convince myself.
2) The MTAC/VMII type with twin securing points hit against my upper thigh and they "walk around" to the 5:00 position in no time. Very annoying. And they cause the afore mentioned slide poking through problem.
3) For me and my build, so far, the very best type is the single anchor point along side the gun. Your summer special II be the example here.
4) The leather single anchor point type have a little extra bulk compared to their kydex counterparts. And the amount of cant on these type make a difference. If you can get the SSII type to ride as low as possible and cant it forward at a greater angle the corner of the slide disappears. And the nature of the holster will also snug in the grip which now sticks up higher.
5) I'm currently working with a kydex holster from Grandfather Oak. About $40. IWB, rides quite low, a single narrow leather loop, adjustable cant. With a thick loopers leather belt it about dissapears with a G23. Put mole skin on the back side and that helps with comfort in the summer.
6) Next I think I'll try a leather holster from FIST. Adjustable cant with solid loop. I just find the leather holsters I've tried are more comfortable. But, the kydex ones hide a little better.
7) As someone mentioned before a good ol' thick solid leather belt (loopers in okc, about $25) helps.

If you have love handles you either need to use the 5:00 position (which I detest) or get the gun low in the waist band with a fairly pronounce forward cant.

JNURSE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you should not worry so much about printing. Move it off the 3:00 one way or the other. Cover it with a loose shirt and get on with your life. I carry a full sized G22, 4:00 to 5:00 position in a SSII, everyday with no problem. If you are noticed, it's probably by someone who knows what to look for. The sheep will not see it, if they were observant, they would recognize we live in a dangerous world and they would be carring too.

repete34

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am the same hight and aprox lbs. (192lbs.)as you (waist size 32) and carried a G23 for several years. I like the "Clip draw" many other people have reasons why they do not, but I did/do. the bulk is much less with the "Clip draw".

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just made a Kydex IWB with off-set belt clip tuckable holster for a friend and I always carry them before I sell them. I'm 5'11'' 190 and I concealed it well with just a T-shirt. at 2:00 real well 3:00 was OK and 5:00 was also good.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you should not worry so much about printing. Move it off the 3:00 one way or the other. Cover it with a loose shirt and get on with your life. I carry a full sized G22, 4:00 to 5:00 position in a SSII, everyday with no problem. If you are noticed, it's probably by someone who knows what to look for. The sheep will not see it, if they were observant, they would recognize we live in a dangerous world and they would be carring too.

+1000 on this...

Also belive it or not going with a "larger" gun will sometimes be more comfortable to wear. I went from a G23 to G22 and finaly to a G35 and find the G35 the most comfotable to wear and conceal. I keep it strong side at 3:15.

And as far as the holster thing try lots of them I have and the best are Milt Sparks, Kytac, ( what im useing now) and Comp-Tac.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom