Glock Grip Angle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go out to San Fran. From what I understand if you spend enough time out there your wrist will be able to more than compensate for the blocks grip angle. Give me a 1911, CZ or Grand Power, now there is a manly grip angle for you!

I'll pass. You go and tell us all about it when you get back. LOL! Seriously, what I'm saying is that I don't find the Glock grip angle to be an issue FOR ME. I can switch back and forth between different pistols and it does not make itself apparent. I just don't understand what the problem is...for some folks, it must be real, but for others, it's only a problem because they have read or heard that it will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, okay. So I was being a bit sarcastic in my first post. I've just heard so many people whine about the grip angle of the Glocks...And I really just fail to see what the problem is. Get a proper sight picture and move the trigger to the rear to cause the round to fire without disturbing that sight picture, and voila! Holes will appear where you so wish. You wanna talk about grips and angles? How about comparing just about any semi auto to a J-frame with service grips?

My complaint is that the grip angle changes the sighting plane on the draw if your used to another grip angle, like the 1911.
I spend hours drawing and dry firing to get the sights to come to the eye naturally. I shoot the 1911 platform in competition. Used a Glock once to try it for comparison, and at the draw, the front sight was way up in the air.
Grip angle is the culprit. Glock Smiths will undercut the grip below the trigger guard to get the sight plane to 1911 levels.
The solution is to select one and train with it. If your casual plinking or punching paper at a range, align the sights, and either is good to go.
If your playing a game where tenths of a second determine the winner, pick one and stay with it.
I don't have a bad word to say about either platform.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
J/K on the San Fran gig, wouldn't push that on anyone, LOL. Had a couple Glocks and had to consciously push the muzzle down that last couple degrees to get on target. Gotta hand it to them though, they are simple and reliable.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welp...
IMG_2700.jpg

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My complaint is that the grip angle changes the sighting plane on the draw if your used to another grip angle, like the 1911.
I spend hours drawing and dry firing to get the sights to come to the eye naturally. I shoot the 1911 platform in competition. Used a Glock once to try it for comparison, and at the draw, the front sight was way up in the air.
Grip angle is the culprit. Glock Smiths will undercut the grip below the trigger guard to get the sight plane to 1911 levels.
The solution is to select one and train with it. If your casual plinking or punching paper at a range, align the sights, and either is good to go.
If your playing a game where tenths of a second determine the winner, pick one and stay with it.
I don't have a bad word to say about either platform.

I had a sweet G19 that I had Olyeller do the full meal deal on. Trijicons, trigger, undercut, magwell bevel and fill, stipple, springs, etc. Just could not get used to it. I traded it for an M&P that was worked over by him. Much better!

Now if S&W doesn't get on the ball I'm going to have to have a G40 MOS.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, the Glock grip angle doesn't seem to be a big deal to me. I switch back and forth between my Walther, Glock, Taurus, 1911, XD, etc.,

Maybe I'm not very perceptive, or whatever.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own several Glocks and 1911's and shoot both well, but I try not to jump back and forth between platforms.

I'm pretty heavily vested in Glock 45's (21sf, 30sf, 30s, and 36) and shoot them a lot, but my favorite handgun will always be a 1911.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Great reading...but the grip of the gun should help us "train" and modify our "natural" stance/position. I read all those articles, and found them very helpful. Now, to get to the range to apply some of it!!!
There's the "trick"..... :)
Npa is a concept of where our bodies naturally rest (or point) and it starts building as soon as we start our shooting platform. The tension in our forearms and hands that comes about from such a grip is easily maintained and modified so that with a good grip, we can point the whole Gun/grip/hands/arms system within the concept of natural point of aim. Very consistent and repeatable. The firmness of this type of grip also kicks butt for smaller stature shooters that sometime have issues with limp wristing.

I've often said that it's astounding how something something initially uncomfortable and foreign can become nice and comfy and second nature if it produces positive results..

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Go out to San Fran. From what I understand if you spend enough time out there your wrist will be able to more than compensate for the blocks grip angle. Give me a 1911, CZ or Grand Power, now there is a manly grip angle for you!
Those Czech and euro guns are euro trash and much more homosexual than a with the same birthplace as Schwarzenegger

Latest posts

Top Bottom