Glock's-manual safety

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another thing. Regarding that mind set of a 'trained brain' being the first safety. That's a 'good start'.
But when that fails we rely on other means such as mechanical safeties.
See this video again. His famous words.
"I'm the only one in this room professional enough to carry a Glock 40".
Here we have a trained professional and he fails to use that first safety. While not even under duress.
My first post was to suggest Glock might increase market share by offering a thumb safety. It could be designed so that it would require a bit of effort to engage. Then one would have a reliable option and
not be concerned with it moving around.
watch

You're trying to "human proof" a gun. You can't do it. I've already shown you where thumb safeties have failed despite your assertion it would make the gun more safe.

Safety #1: Treat all guns as if they were always loaded

if that fails,

Safety #2: Don't point the gun at anything you're not willing to destroy

if that fails,

Safety #3: Keep your finger off the trigger and outside the trigger guard until your sights are on target and you're ready to fire

if that fails

Safety #4: Be sure of your target and what lies beyond it

If you follow those simple steps, even if all 4 fail, no one should get hurt and nothing should be damaged. If you can't follow those simple steps what on earth makes you think that having one more lever on your gun is going to make you safe? It's not. You're trying to idiot proof a gun and just like anything else that's "idiot proof", the idiots will outsmart it.

I'm having a difficult time understanding how one person can be so obtuse. If you can't follow the safety rules you shouldn't be handling any gun, safety or not. And if you can, you don't need extra safeties. It's a horrible and dangerous idea to believe the gun will make you safe rather than the other way around.

I tell you what... You go buy a Glock. Bring it to me and I'll remove the firing pin. You'll never have to worry about the gun firing when you don't intend to fire it. As a matter of fact, bring me all your guns and I'll make them all safe.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to .19 and .47 and tell me if a manual safety was set that this would have happened.
I bet that kid would not have found the safety. Especially on a Shield being they are close to flush.
It may not have made a difference but I bet it would. I'll bet I can find more videos but you get my point. Glock brags about offering 50 different pistols but none with thumb safety.
watch

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to .19 and .47 and tell me if a manual safety was set that this would have happened.
I bet that kid would not have found the safety. Especially on a Shield being they are close to flush.
It may not have made a difference but I bet it would. I'll bet I can find more videos but you get my point. Glock brags about offering 50 different pistols but none with thumb safety.
watch
No amount of manual safeties will ever fix stupid.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
watch

No. I don't get your point. You're worried about a gun without a safety (I'm not sure how you know that...I couldn't tell what type of gun it was nor could I find the info in the article) but you're ignoring the HUGE white elephant in the room.

I provided you a video of a young man shooting himself with a gun equipped with two manual safeties and you conveniently just ignored that and kept on with your assertion an external safety will make a gun safe.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
watch

Let's talk about this circumstances in this video...

Which scenario do you think is more "safe"?

1. Loaded Glock pistol, without a thumb safety, properly stored (in whatever form that might be) and kept out of the reach of children.

or

2. Loaded handgun (pick a model) with a thumb safety (or other manual safety) engaged and left on a sofa where unsupervised, young children can access it while parents are preoccupied elsewhere in the home.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No. I don't get your point. You're worried about a gun without a safety (I'm not sure how you know that...I couldn't tell what type of gun it was nor could I find the info in the article) but you're ignoring the HUGE white elephant in the room.

I provided you a video of a young man shooting himself with a gun equipped with two manual safeties and you conveniently just ignored that and kept on with your assertion an external safety will make a gun safe.
Below is from the web. I still contend Glocks are fine guns. My point is back to them missing the
market for the external safety. In reading the article below it seems a number of people feel the same.
It's a matter of choice of course and Glock should realize that. Maybe their sale are such that it's of no
concern in the US market. I don't know.

The underlying problem with these pistols is a short trigger pull and the lack of an external safety. In real-world encounters, a short trigger pull can be lethal, in part because a significant percentage of law enforcement officers — some experts say as high as 20% — put their finger on the trigger of their weapons when under stress. According to firearms trainers, most officers are completely unaware of their tendency to do this and have a hard time believing it, even when they’re shown video evidence from training exercises.

For more than 35 years, officer-involved accidental discharges with Glocks and Glock-like weapons have been blamed on a lack of training or negligence on the part of the individual cops. What critics should be addressing instead is the brutal reality that short trigger pulls and natural human reflexes are a deadly combination.

Though short trigger-pull guns dominate the law enforcement market, they aren’t the only game in town. A number of major and minor agencies use guns with much longer double-action triggers that are just as easy to fire deliberately but that are much harder to fire accidentally. The half-inch difference of trigger travel may not sound like much, but it can be the difference between life and death.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For more than 35 years, officer-involved accidental discharges with Glocks and Glock-like weapons have been blamed on a lack of training or negligence on the part of the individual cops.

You do realize that lack of training or negligence with a thumb safety could/will get you/officer or someone else killed?

I can't tell you the number of times that I have accidently set a thumb safety while shooting until range training solved that issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom