Glock's-manual safety

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You do realize that lack of training or negligence with a thumb safety could/will get you/officer or someone else killed?

I can't tell you the number of times that I have accidently set a thumb safety while shooting until range training solved that issue.
Yes. I suppose any number of things could go wrong. And if I were in LE, I would not rule out a Glock.
But I figure as a citizen I will not likely have to do a 'quick draw' like a cop approaching a stolen vehicle or similar situation. Most of us that carry just don't want to become a statistic like the Luby's Cafeteria
shooting where they were unarmed for the duration of the shooting cowering under tables.
And I agree that range training is invaluable.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Below is from the web. I still contend Glocks are fine guns. My point is back to them missing the
market for the external safety. In reading the article below it seems a number of people feel the same.
It's a matter of choice of course and Glock should realize that. Maybe their sale are such that it's of no
concern in the US market. I don't know.

The underlying problem with these pistols is a short trigger pull and the lack of an external safety. In real-world encounters, a short trigger pull can be lethal, in part because a significant percentage of law enforcement officers — some experts say as high as 20% — put their finger on the trigger of their weapons when under stress. According to firearms trainers, most officers are completely unaware of their tendency to do this and have a hard time believing it, even when they’re shown video evidence from training exercises.

For more than 35 years, officer-involved accidental discharges with Glocks and Glock-like weapons have been blamed on a lack of training or negligence on the part of the individual cops. What critics should be addressing instead is the brutal reality that short trigger pulls and natural human reflexes are a deadly combination.

Though short trigger-pull guns dominate the law enforcement market, they aren’t the only game in town. A number of major and minor agencies use guns with much longer double-action triggers that are just as easy to fire deliberately but that are much harder to fire accidentally. The half-inch difference of trigger travel may not sound like much, but it can be the difference between life and death.

Yeah...I'm pretty familiar with law enforcement firearms training. I was an instructor for 2 different agencies over a total of about 12 years. I was also a member of the PD SWAT team. I have a passing familiarity with Glock pistols and attended the basic Glock armorers course (and several other manufacturer courses) 2 or 3 times and the advanced armorers course once. Everything you're talking about is a training issue...not a gun issue. Everything.

As I've mentioned numerous times. If you want a gun with a manual safety, you should probably look elsewhere. Just because you want that, or require that, doesn't mean the gun needs that. That are many other options available to you.

And you never answered the question about which scenario is more safe re: guns and kids. You're a master at deflecting criticisms of your arguments. I'm guessing that's because they don't stand up to scrutiny and you know that. If you don't know that by now, you should.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A manual safety on a self defense gun can get you killed. If you carry a MS gun you MUST practice drawing that pistol and clicking the safety off until it’s a non conscious action. I don’t know how many people come to my class with a manual safety gun and the first time they try to pull the trigger I hear “oops, forgot the safety” and I say “too late, you’re dead”. As an instructor I will tell you:1) Carry a gun. 2) Carry a gun without a manual safety, but if you insist on one, practice removing that safety as you draw. 3) Carry a round in the chamber. 4) Practice safety until you’re blue in the face.
If you carry gun you must practice with it until you draw and hit a target at 5 feet in less than 2 seconds. Or better, when it happens there are no time outs. Glocks are great guns, I prefer a 1911 because they function the way I like and feel right to me. The safety just might save someone's life if the are over powered by someone and that person does not know how to use it. I saw a video once where a office was knock out the bad guy did not know how so he could not shoot the officer with his gun.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Screw it, I’m convinced. All my guns are for sale. I’m buying a bat with a thumb safety. It’s for the kids.

I think I have all trigger and action types possible. Can shoot them all safely from muscle memory. The FUD in this thread is next level….

eich

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
6 pages of answers to a question that didn't need to be asked.

Arguing with a pig = waste of my time and should annoy the pig. In this case the pig feeds off it.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah...I'm pretty familiar with law enforcement firearms training. I was an instructor for 2 different agencies over a total of about 12 years. I was also a member of the PD SWAT team. I have a passing familiarity with Glock pistols and attended the basic Glock armorers course (and several other manufacturer courses) 2 or 3 times and the advanced armorers course once. Everything you're talking about is a training issue...not a gun issue. Everything.

As I've mentioned numerous times. If you want a gun with a manual safety, you should probably look elsewhere. Just because you want that, or require that, doesn't mean the gun needs that. That are many other options available to you.

And you never answered the question about which scenario is more safe re: guns and kids. You're a master at deflecting criticisms of your arguments. I'm guessing that's because they don't stand up to scrutiny and you know that. If you don't know that by now, you should.
Lighten up Francis. No need to get personal. Gee.
I'll stick to my Shield and HK and sleep at night.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Joel Berry GIF by BabylonBee

Latest posts

Top Bottom