Good, inexpensive, first handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lycus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm basically looking for a decent sidearm to be used as a CCW. I was considering Springfield XD Compacts or a sub-compact but these are a little out of my price-range (I'd like to cap the price of the gun at about $350).

Any recommendations? I'd like something that'd work well in a pocket-holster or an ankle holster, but would be generally reliable, and accepting of .40S&W.

My only current experience with firearms (as mentioned here quite some time ago) is with a Ruger 10/22, and a few shots with Glock 9mm at a gun range.

MickeyMouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like my XD Sub Compact. Not sure that I could pocket holster it without cargo pants/shorts. I would look at single stack solutions if you want to pocket carry. KelTec PF9/Walther PPS/Karh. I have been looking at those myself for a pocket carry, when I do not want to strap on the XD SC. A lot of the board members recommend the J frame revolvers for pocket carry as well. The Taurus is in your price range, but that one is a love/hate relationship. Mine started jamming due to missing parts, so I sold it as soon as it returned from the manufacture.

Good Luck.

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Taurus 709 may be just what you are looking for. It is a single stack so it is thin but of course that limits the capacity to I believe 7 rounds in the mag. Do some research but the seem to get good reviews. Outdoor America in Bethany sells them for $368. If you go there, they can help with your selection too and they have an incredible selection.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep your eyes peeled right here at OSA. Sometimes you can find some real bargains.

As for a pocket sized gun? I think I would avoid a CCW piece that size.

I mean...don't get me wrong...at least with a pocket gun, you've accomplished Rule #1. Bring a gun. But pocket carry is best left for BUGs and more experienced handgun toters. Your primary really should be on your hip. At least until you get more handgun savvy and have gained some more experience in handguns.

IMHO, one of the best deals out there on a full sized pistol in either 9mm, .40S&W or .45ACP caliber is the Ruger "P" series. Any one of those can be had used around the $350 mark.

The Ruger P90 is one of the best .45s I've ever fired.

The P89 9mm is "decent" but they don't pattern worth a damn. When I owned one (stainless P89) I could keep 'em all on paper...just kinda scattered. :rolleyes2

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you are not against a Milsurp pistol, the CZ82 in 9x18 is a nice pistol. Loaded with features, 12+1 rd capacity, can be carried with one in the chamber and the safety off safely, ambidextrous safety and mag release.

DA/SA trigger

Fairly small framed semi auto a tad on the thick side because of the staggered mag but still not that bad.

Goes for around 200.

As for the people that snub their nose up at the 9x18, you wont find any that are willing to stand there and let you shoot them with it so make your own conclusions there.

I really like the one I have, its a very accurate pistol.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
check out the kahr cw9 and cw40 they're small enough to be concealed but large enough to get all your fingers on the grip (average sized hands) and you can get them used for close to the $350 mark.

you should go to h&h and rent them first because if you're not used to shooting anything but a .22 then the snappy recoil of the .40 in a lightweight gun might change your mind about what you really want.

with the types of self defense ammo available now for the 9mm you won't be undergunned picking the 9mm over the .40

Latest posts

Top Bottom