Good, inexpensive, first handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billet93

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Taurus Millenium pro or 24/7. Have had both with no problems. May also look at a wheel gun. Some real sexy .38s and 357s have been showing up...

I second that, I love the Taurus PT111 Millenium Pro I just bought... 12+1 capacity, handles real nicely, small enough to conceal easily, awesome gun IMO... and can be had used for $300 or less if you shop a little...

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm basically looking for a decent sidearm to be used as a CCW. I was considering Springfield XD Compacts or a sub-compact but these are a little out of my price-range (I'd like to cap the price of the gun at about $350).

Any recommendations? I'd like something that'd work well in a pocket-holster or an ankle holster, but would be generally reliable, and accepting of .40S&W.

My only current experience with firearms (as mentioned here quite some time ago) is with a Ruger 10/22, and a few shots with Glock 9mm at a gun range.

It may not be sexy, and might have a very low cool factor around your friends, but a good S&W K-frame .38spl revolver would be your best bet to start out with. Manual of Arms is easy to learn, recoil is mild, .38spl is a respectable cartridge, and the K-frame is easy to conceal. Most if not all K-frame revolvers are extreamly accurate. These three rules apply regardless of the gun used.
1. Shot placement is whats its all about.
2. Penetration is whats needed. If the round doesn't get to the vital areas your not going to stop the threat.
3. Hollowpoints....... They are not the "majic pill", sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Always refer to rule #1, an #2.

Latest posts

Top Bottom