Good, inexpensive, first handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lot of good options out there.
Might want to consider being able to find ammo easy also.
Avoid anything you see lot's of people saying they can't hardly find ammo for.
You want to be able to practice a lot with your primary sidearm.

That being said 38 spl is usually fairly easy to find and more than adequate as a self defense caliber.

Lycus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Lot of good options out there.
Might want to consider being able to find ammo easy also.
Avoid anything you see lot's of people saying they can't hardly find ammo for.
You want to be able to practice a lot with your primary sidearm.

That being said 38 spl is usually fairly easy to find and more than adequate as a self defense caliber.

Yes, that is something else I was considering, moreso the price of ammo than its availability.

I've had some offers for a Springfield XD 40 that's at $400, and I'm seriously considering that... but an S&W Sigma is a bit less, and the S&W K-Frame nearly seems to be a steal.

I'll expand to say that in all likelihood I'll never have to use the gun for self-defense, and it will primarily be used for target practice (need hone my skills should I ever need to actually use it, naturally), so cheap ammo = good.

I'm even pondering getting a small .22 pistol just because the ammo is so cheap. Not a lot of stopping power, but something like a Walther P22 has proven to be lethal in a notable, tragic occasion, tho I don't know what those run.

I'm a layman, I'm not law enforcement, but I'm the sort of guy who carries a Leatherman Wave + bit kit, and a mini-maglite on my belt at all times. I want to be best prepared for any obstacle that comes my way.

Thanks to everyone here for your input so far, it's given me some things to consider. I've a nice paycheck coming-in soon, so I'll try to do some further research of my own and hopefully come to a sound decision.

Lycus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ok, I've basically narrowed-down my options to these firearms:
  • Springfield XD 40
  • S&W Sigma
  • S&W K-Frame Model 10 or 12 (a co-worker and ex-leo working as security at my place of employment highly-suggested this, but he also said he'd leap for a Springfield XD40 for $400
  • Ruger 22/45 Mark III .22

If anyone could give some insight to the advantages and disadvantages of these listed firearms it'd be appreciated. I'm really, really ignorant of the mechanics of these firearms, and while the S&W Sigma is very attractive for its price, I've heard it's prone to jamming.

To reassess what I'm looking for: something good for target practice, but something that could save my life or someone else's in a dire circumstance. The preservation of innocent life is invaluable, and a mere $50 out of my budget would be well worth it, but I'd also like something cheaper for target practice.

Odds are I'll get a reliable weapon, on par with a Springfield XD 40, and later purchase a decent .22 for target practice. I know that different guns will handle differently, but having a sound basis with a handgun, I feel, will go a long way in my ability to handle higher caliber, higher recoil firearms.

Thanks again for your insights, and for putting-up with my ignorance.

Lycus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
GED,thats the perfect age to get em started on the classic stuff.He can work up to those plastic guns later.then fall back to the model good ol k-frame when the going gets tough.I mean,like LDP said,you can't beat rock solid performance.

Yes, I was going to inquire what he meant about that...

MickeyMouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently went through your quest, so here are my thoughts.

I like the XD as I have pre-teen children, and the grip safety gives me an extra layer of security, should one of them come into contact with the weapon and accidentally press the trigger. Mind you I have taken them all to the hunters safety course, the learn gun safety in scouts, and I drill in gun safety to them every chance I get. I do not leave firearms in easy access, but they still have that curiosity factor, so I like the simple, yet effective grip safety idea. Also, sometimes when I holster my XD SC in my CrossBreed IWB holster, my shirt gets caught between the holster and the gun, which could possibly (although remote) lead to a discharge, if the grip safety was not there. Thus I feel more comfortable carrying a firearm with the additional grip safety.

I noticed you did not add the Glock to your list. Glock's do have the current advantage of having .22 conversion kits available, that you could budget for at a later date (Advantage Arms). In theory there are some XD .22 conversions coming out at some point, but I have yet to see one. I shy away from the Glock for reasons listed above, but have shot a Glock 19 of my friends and they go bang every time too, so I have nothing against them. The advantage of a conversion kit, is that you are practicing with the same weapon you would be using, if your life depended on it.

I would recommend checking out each of the manufactures web sites, and listing what you like/dislike about each. Then go handle the guns at the gun shop and see which one feels best to you. Finally, if you can get to a range that rents the weapons you are considering, you could decide what really works best for you by trying them out at the range. Medlock's Firearms in Collinsville rents guns for $10 ea (plus range fee) at their indoor range, even to non-members, and they are super nice folks.

My final thought, is be sure to budget some training. The Tulsa Defensive Shooting Academy (TDSA) are excellent instructors and teach invaluable skills. I am sure there are others as well, but Marshal and his gang are excellent. They are focused on helping you become your best, based on your skill set.

Hope that helps.

Les

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of the ones you narrowed it down to I would go after the XD40 without hesitation. XD is a great gun, especially for the price.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the sigma can be had for $300 with many mags, or for $250 with the mail in rebate This is a pretty good deal, and don't let the hype bother you, the trigger is not what people would leave you to believe.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would go with a Hipoint 45 and a Jennings 9mm, you should come in under your 350 mark. :popcorn:

You do know, of course, that Sturgell is just kidding?

The Hi-Point is gigantic, and the Jennings is merely big. There have been some rumors of reliability issues, particularly with the Jennings . . . CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom