Good, inexpensive, first handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It may not be sexy, and might have a very low cool factor around your friends, but a good S&W K-frame .38spl revolver would be your best bet to start out with. Manual of Arms is easy to learn, recoil is mild, .38spl is a respectable cartridge, and the K-frame is easy to conceal. Most if not all K-frame revolvers are extreamly accurate. These three rules apply regardless of the gun used.
1. Shot placement is whats its all about.
2. Penetration is whats needed. If the round doesn't get to the vital areas your not going to stop the threat.
3. Hollowpoints....... They are not the "majic pill", sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Always refer to rule #1, an #2.

I was gonna suggest a good ol' model 10 but I figured with him being 24 years old...:rolleyes2

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I was gonna suggest a good ol' model 10 but I figured with him being 24 years old...:rolleyes2

GED,thats the perfect age to get em started on the classic stuff.He can work up to those plastic guns later.then fall back to the model good ol k-frame when the going gets tough.I mean,like LDP said,you can't beat rock solid performance.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
hands down a used Airweight J-frame revolver from S&W... nothing else comes close in your $$ range. some say it's the best for CCW at any price.

unless you get lucky, will take a bit extra digging to stay within your $350 budget.

used 642's come up regularly in that price range on OS classifies.
problem is being first in line... a used J frame in $350 price range usually last only a few minutes. they are available new for $440 online, so that may be another option

put out a WTB 642 with your price range... be prepared to accept cosmetic blemishes, asking for a deal.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Although they're not all that easy to find at any given time, a Polish P64 in 9x18 would probably fill your bill, at less than the price you indicated. And, as someone mentioned earlier, a CZ 82 is a good choice, as well.

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ill second the motion for the Ruger LCP .380.

If you are considering an LCP I would seriously wait until Outdoor America in OKC gets some more Sig P238's in stock, they sell the Duo Tone for $396 + tax! That same gun is $529 at H&H!! Or.... Outdoor America sells the Kahr KP380 for $525, the Walther PPK for $509. If you want a real sleeper of a gun, the Bersa Thunder 380 is a great gun, a copy of the Walther, at $239 at Outdoor America. I still think the Taurus 709 is a good compact carry 9mm for the money. The LCP is nice but it hurts to shoot it where as the Sig P238 is SWEET and is a great shooter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom