Good, inexpensive, first handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I've basically narrowed-down my options to these firearms:
  • S&W Sigma
  • S&W K-Frame Model 10 or 12 (a co-worker and ex-leo working as security at my place of employment highly-suggested this, but he also said he'd leap for a Springfield XD40 for $400

*snip*

I can speak on these directly - the sigma is as reliable as I could ask for no matter what rounds I have put down it. The trigger isn't great but not horrid either.

A wheelie especially s&w is always a good choice. Yes you may be more limited on initial rounds, but I never worry when I have mine. I know it won't jam or fail to feed in any circumstance.

You could look at a Rossi or Taurus as well
I have always heard good things on springfields but no direct experience with them

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would go with a Hipoint 45 and a Jennings 9mm, you should come in under your 350 mark.
:popcorn:

Dont know anything about the Jennings, but the Hi Point JHP 45 is a decent gun and very reliable. I have owned the Hi Point C9, the JCP 40 and the JHP 45 and they are all well built dependable accurate pistols. Still have the C9, sold the other pistols to people that needed a good first gun for HD.

If a gun goes bang every time you pull the trigger and is accurate, what is wrong with it beside gun brand snobbery?

They are great for bedside pistols, but IMO are too bulky for carry Pistols.

I still maintain the CZ82 in 9x18 is a great pistol at a great price. At 21 ft I can put 13 rds in a target the size of a juice can bottom standing offhand, and I am not the best pistol shot. The pistol makes it easy to be accurate.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i would steer away from the sigma. the xd is nice. but IMHO the best carry gun is a revolver. they dont jam and if you have a ftf just pull the trigger again and try the next shot.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well it looks like you can get a "best gun" Opinion from everything. Try several and see what you like/fits.
Youll probably end up with several different guns!!
Then theres the holster debacle LOL:bolt:
Welcome to the world of "several different guns and holsters to match":eek2:
Good luck and let us know what works best for YOU.:respect:

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd stick with a 9mm or 38. Not having much experience with handguns and then buying a larger caliber, can lead to bad habits. The 9mm is going to be cheaper to feed and as of right now, ammo is easier to find and cheaper to buy. Not a fan of someone new to handguns starting with and auto, but due to you limited budget, the sigma probably wins hands down. Don't worry about the trigger as you haven't had alot of trigger time with different guns and a good trigger is opinion based mostly. i.e.( I like glock 5.5 triggers and the trigger on my gp 100). Learn some basics and then practice.

Razur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An inexpensive new gun available in 9 or 40 which I would recommend would be the Stoeger Cougar. Stoeger is owned by Beretta, and the Cougar is the same gun as before. Not really a pocket gun, but a good first gun IMHO.

I'll join the ranks of Sigma haters by the way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom