Got a question for you guys... (shooting on rivers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crowmosly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been trying to find a place to shoot further distances than my land is capable of giving me... 300 yds... Is it legal to shoot on a sand bar? I have heard its illegal to shoot across a river... and that it is legal to shoot parallel to it... Can anyone confirm these or shed some light on the topic? My buddy owns some land near a river with access to a really long sand bar... like a mile long... and its got me thinkin...

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm! If you lived across the river. Would you want somebody shooting towards you? Sheriff will be called quick.
You need to attend a gun safety class.
1. Be sure of your target.
2. Be sure of your backstop.
3. Bullets ricochet off water.
Now if it was a creek on your friends property and you were shooting into a high creek bank as an impact area. Thats a different story.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So long as the bank you're shooting into makes a nice backstop, there's nothing behind the bank but open land and there's no public access, it shouldn't be an issue. Where you may run into an issue is if it's considered a navigable waterway.

Crowmosly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It wouldn't be shooting across the river or even across water. It would be totally safe... Just sand and about a 30 foot backstop and no houses or buildings within miles. I just want to know if it would be legal. People go down there all the time to shoot all types of guns. I just want to make sure it's legal before go I do it.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It would help to know what river and on what section of it. Have you considered calling the ODWC or Corps of Engineers? Usually one or the other will have jurisdiction over a specific river section.

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm! If you lived across the river. Would you want somebody shooting towards you? Sheriff will be called quick.
You need to attend a gun safety class.
1. Be sure of your target.
2. Be sure of your backstop.
3. Bullets ricochet off water.
Now if it was a creek on your friends property and you were shooting into a high creek bank as an impact area. Thats a different story.

So there's a house across the river? Missed that part, or someone is making assumptions.

Sounds pretty safe from your description, Crow, but like gtg said, for the legalities, probably best to figure out who wants to be responsible for the river.

Crowmosly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah there are no houses in the direction I am shooting for at least ten miles... and I wouldn't be shooting across water at all. Its just a massive sand bar on one side of the river with about a 30 foot tall dirt backstop that is infinitely wide cause... it's the side of the riverbed... I know its safe, just want to know if it is legal to do so... This is out in the boonies but i don't want to do it if its illegal...

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A river is just like any other land. If you own or have permission to be on the land (river) then you just have to be aware of your backstop. Just like any other land. A river is no different. UNLESS you are on the Arkansas river near Tulsa where the Federal government owns the bed of the river. Any other river in Oklahoma is just owned by the adjoining landowners.

Unless your buddy owns the whole mile of land that adjoins the river, you will be shooting on/over someone else land.

Latest posts

Top Bottom