Grady County WMA???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Folks,
I was looking on the Dept of Wildlife website and reading through their items for public comment when I see a reference to "Grady County WMA". (item 25 on the public comment area). I then go to the description area where they list the WMAs and don't see a Grady County WMA.

Can anybody tell me anything about this area or is this a new one to be opened up next year or have I just overlooked it??

Just curious....

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live in Grady co and have not heard anything about it. Is it in northern or southern. Or does is give legal description?

This is copied from the ODWC site you are linked to if you want to enter public comments for proposed changes.

800:25-7-102.1.1 Grady County WMA

The following hunting and trapping seasons apply to the Grady County WMA:

Quail: Same as statewide season dates, except closed during first 9 days of deer gun season.
Pheasant: Closed season.
Prairie chicken: Closed season.
Turkey - Fall: (A) Archery: Same as statewide season dates except closed during deer muzzleloader season and the first nine days of deer gun season, either-sex. (B) Gun: Same as statewide season dates, 1 tom.
Turkey - Spring: Same as statewide season dates, 1 tom limit.
Squirrel: Same as statewide season dates, except closed during first 9 days of deer gun season.
Rabbit: Same as statewide season dates, except closed during first 9 days of deer gun season.
Crow: Same as statewide season dates.
Dove: Same as statewide season dates.
Rail and gallinule: Same as statewide season dates.
Common snipe: Same as statewide season dates, except closed during first 9 days of deer gun season.
Woodcock: Same as statewide season dates, except closed during first 9 days of deer gun season.
Deer - archery: Same as statewide season dates except closed during deer muzzleloader season and the first nine days of deer gun season.
Deer - primitive firearms: Controlled hunts only.
Deer - gun: Controlled hunts only.
Trapping: Open to water sets and live box traps only.
Pursuit with hounds: Same as statewide season dates, except closed during first 9 days of deer gun season.
Predator/furbearer calling: Same as statewide season dates, except closed during first 9 days of deer gun season.
Waterfowl: Same as statewide season dates.

I had heard from a friend of a friend of a game warden that there was a new WMA going to be opened up around Rush Springs... I am going by the Dept on Friday to pick up one of the new WMA atlas. I will ask somebody there what the scoop is. Sure would be nice to have another place to go...

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went by the ODWC yesterday to pick up the new WMA atlas.. Got that and spoke to them about the new Grady County WMA.

If you have not purchased the newe Atlas it is way better layout than the old one that has been in my house/truck for years..... Definitely worth the money in my opinion.

ODWC have purchased about 1000 acres in two plots about 3 miles east of Rush Springs. ~400 acres in one and 620(I think) about another mile or two away. She said the bioligists are doing wildlife surveys and will be looking at the public comments info to determine what activities will be allowed. She stated that the area will in all probability be available for sportsmen for the 2011-2012 hunting seasons.

On a related note, I asked her about the new WMA supposed to be west of Ardmore. She stated that ODWC was in the process of acquiring the "Kimball Ranch" for WMA purposes. Some of you folks in that area may be familiar with tha property, but she said it was several thousand acres but since they had not finalized that acquisition, it would probably NOT be ready for 2011-2012.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On a related note, I asked her about the new WMA supposed to be west of Ardmore. She stated that ODWC was in the process of acquiring the "Kimball Ranch" for WMA purposes. Some of you folks in that area may be familiar with tha property, but she said it was several thousand acres but since they had not finalized that acquisition, it would probably NOT be ready for 2011-2012.

I'm very familiar with the Kimbel Ranch....ehh don't waste your time.... there's nothing out there worth hunting. :rolleyes2

Did they happen to mention what pastures were going to be purchased? I believe there was close to 12,000 acres in total out there.

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm very familiar with the Kimbel Ranch....ehh don't waste your time.... there's nothing out there worth hunting. :rolleyes2

Did they happen to mention what pastures were going to be purchased? I believe there was close to 12,000 acres in total out there.

She just mentioned "the Kimbel Ranch". No mention other than it would be several thousand acres when purchase was finalized..

Bullbuster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone got any new info about this place? I just checked and was drawn for an either sex ML hunt in Oct. I did a google search and found referance here and hunt info like what was posted by Harley but no map info.:anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom