Great Muzzle Loader Debate!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think one of the reasons that the dwc has allowed the expansion of what types of muzzle loading rifles can be used to take whitetails is they wanted to increase the number of deer taken during the season. Look at the number of doe days and the increase in season hunting time that has occured over the years.
I use one of three rifles for this hunting.
Hawken 50 pc, Hawken 58 pc and a Knight Bighorn 50 inline.
The inline with fiber optic sights, stainless barrel and musket cap ignition is by far my favorite.
T.P.

jamesfpop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the number of does is the real reason we have two weeks of gun and liberal muzzleloader seasons. That also includes a huge amount of time for archery. No matter what you shoot we need to take more does and better quality bucks, QDM.
Why don't we make the suggestion to have a true primitive muzzle loader season, another week for modern muzzleloader, and then the regular week of firearm season? Have them a week apart so that they don't share a weekend. It might work. Of course make gun season the Thanksgiving week like now. Also, have it progressive so that during modern muzzleloader you could hunt with the primitive, and all can be used during gun season.

jamesfpop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to shoot all types of front loaders this morning. My friend Tom is giving me an informal introduction to the really old school stuff. I've never shot a flint lock and I hope it is fun (it is a gun it will be fun).

More later!

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think one of the reasons that the dwc has allowed the expansion of what types of muzzle loading rifles can be used to take whitetails is they wanted to increase the number of deer taken during the season. Look at the number of doe days and the increase in season hunting time that has occured over the years.

Undoubetdly whitetail states will never get rid of inlines due to this reason alone. Wildlife departments want to see dead whitetail does and LOTS OF THEM. Unfortunately the traditionalist side can't seem to get this through there head, trying to abolish inlines in whitetail country is a futile task. However, adding a "traditional" season only, as suggested might be accomplished. More than likely extending the muzzleloading season already in place is what the wildlife departments would opt for instead, but ya never know.

thunderbutt

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i will start that i have only owned one black powder rifle. it was a cheep bass pro deer stalker think new it was $79.00 it was fun to shoot love the cloud of smoke and smell of the powder.i sold it when i was hard up for money. i'm wanting to get back into it. been looking for a used one. seen a t/c renagade and cherokee. a cva hawkin, all side locks. do not know what to get. i 'm a older fart 61 now i kind of like the traditional guns. but the inline ones they have nos are pretty much anything but a primitive weapon . i think the primitive part got lost some place. it's any thing but. now if you want one go for it. i don't care. was told that some are going to a breech loader rifle to get around the side lock . in states that in lines are not legal for deer hunting.i think the in line guns should not be classified as primitive. now ask if i deer hunt . haven't gone deer hunting in 40 years. so i think i am not bias. but i do want a BP rifle for plinking around and would like to try some predator hunting with one. some thing i have never done.

torque

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Undoubetdly whitetail states will never get rid of inlines due to this reason alone. Wildlife departments want to see dead whitetail does and LOTS OF THEM. Unfortunately the traditionalist side can't seem to get this through there head, trying to abolish inlines in whitetail country is a futile task. However, adding a "traditional" season only, as suggested might be accomplished. More than likely extending the muzzleloading season already in place is what the wildlife departments would opt for instead, but ya never know.

+1. Same goes for archery, maybe worse. :smack:

mikeyinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sort of understand the traditionalists POV on this one...

So...I'd like to ask. What do people think the *intent* of muzzleloading/primitive season is?

I think the "intent" of the muzzleloading season was to use only the traditional style weapons. Seeing as how there were no "inline" types being made when most states instituted their muzzleloading season. The inlines came along when many deer hunters wanted another season to fill another tag, but didn't want the "muss and fuss" of the traditional muzzleloader. Obviously the gun manufacturers listened and found loopholes in the various hunting regulations. Thus the inline muzzloader.

jamesfpop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have finally shot a few rounds in my T/C Encore everyone will be interested in. I set up a range on Monday and my rifle performed well with the new bullets from Spr*$tsm@n's W@reh*^se. The Dead Center .40 200gr. with 110 grains of Jim Shockey Gold, put me 5 inches higher at 100 yards over my previous Zero with the same load w/ 250 T/C Spire points. After my third shot on the 100 yard target a lone coyote walked out. We closed the distance on it and through a mortar shot at it at 350 or so yards, LONG SHOT. With considerable luck I hit the coyote. I have a witness who was as shocked at the shot as I was. I give credit to the 3-9x40 Nikon Scope w/BDC. This is a testiment to the technology side of muzzle loading.

If you are debating a new load in your muzzle loader for the deer woods, try these bullets from Precision Rifle Bullets. This will change the way I hunt forever. I might even hunt rifle season with my 209x50 T/C, I am that convinced.

CimarronOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is your opinion on muzzle loading:

Should we go Old School: Flint or Cap Lock, with patched round Ball?
or
Should we go High Tech: Inline, sabots, rifle bullets, smokeless powder, and guaranteed ignition?

What do you think?????

I've shot about every combination of muzzle loaders... even some I've built. Like every other hunting medium... choose the components that allow you to get the job do. I've taken a deer with a .45 Pennsylvania cap lock, copious volumes of stinking smoke. I've shoot Minnie balls and this year I'll shoot duplex sabots. If you want to play Dani'l Boone, go for it. If you want to extend your basic rifle skills to muzzle loading... enjoy it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom