Great Muzzle Loader Debate!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesfpop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shoot Minnie balls and this year I'll shoot duplex sabots. ... enjoy it.

I love your attitude. Shoot what you got and enjoy the experience.

I will likely shoot duplex .357 195 grains this weekend sometime. Bought some a few weeks ago, but my range time/coyote hunt pulled me away before I shot them. I suppose they will shoot similar to the 200gr .40 cals., but higher at 300yrds.

Everyone have fun shooting what you can this season.

JEEPr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm more of a traditionalist. I like the challenge. I bought a Traditions Kentucky Rifle Kit and went to work. Had a guy in town hot blue the barrel for me, but everything else was done by hand. Lots of sanding! I really enjoyed putting it together. It's one of my favorite guns to shoot. She's 49" long 1 in 66" twist barrel percussion cap 50 cal. I want to put together a flintlock as well. I've had challenges, Last year I had a deer in my sights and had a hang fire. I didn't have the discipline to hold the rifle still until it fired, so I missed. That just adds to the challenge. The cleaning part is the only thing I don't care for. I can see why some guys go inline. As soon as I scratch together the funds I'm gonna put together a single shot .50 cal pistol to carry with me. Right now I carry a Confederate Navy revolver. I don't have an issue so much with the inline thing. I guess the only beef I got is a scope on a muzzleloader. Too close to a modern firearm for me.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no problem with modern in-lines but they should not be included in muzzleloader/blackpowder season. If you want to use one during gun season then go for it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
this is a debate that will never die.
I'm relativly sure that the wick fired smoothbore blunderbuss shooters
got mad as heck when the rifled barrels showed up, and argue'd against them until in their graves.
When scopes started showing up in the war between the states, I'm sure those without scopes cried foul, and said they were "not fair".

I think y'all know where I'm going with this....

One thing that makes it all fair and even, is you still have to load it from the muzzle, one shot at a time.
I'll take my inline scoped muzzleloaderany day, and I've owned them all at one time or another.

Reaction score
My opinion on it is this: Primitive should definitely be primitive (somewhat primitive anyway; say, pre-mid-19th century technology):

No scopes (unless visually impaired or over 65, let's say), but fiber optics on your irons are ok, I guess, since everyone's just gonna paint glow in the dark paint anyway if you don't allow it.
No pelletized powder
No conical bullets
No saboted bullets (patches ok)
No inline (sidelock only)
No smokeless powder
Certainly no "primitive metallic cartridge" rifles, like a Sharps, as are allowed in some states in the Southeastern US

(But allow rifling and percussion cap ignition, I suppose, just to draw the line somewhere. Whether to allow BP equivalents would be a tough tough call for me).

BUT, unless and until that happens, then (1) No one should look down their noses or talk trash at anyone who uses anything that's legal - I certainly don't, and (2) I myself personally am gonna use everything and anything that's legal, simply because the NEXT guy a hundred yards down on public land, or over the property line from me on the next private land, where that big buck might jump to or from, is gonna be using everything that's legal (and sometimes more), and it's an arm's race to keep up with him, to have the same advantages - at least where I hunt now, which is 'tough huntin'.

I can just see it now in the regs: "Every licensed hunter must wear and display at least two of the following while hunting: Coonskin cap (with tail), fringed buckskin suit, or actual horn material powder flask draped across the chest." :laugh6:

Latest posts

Top Bottom