Great Muzzle Loader Debate!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally enjoy hunting for the challenge, so I shoot a sidelock. Modern inlines are too much like regular centerfire rifles. That being said, a lot of people aren't going to take the time to become efficient with primitive models so I can see why the regs are written as they are. I'd be all for a primitive season, but there's no reason the inline guys can't have their time in the woods too.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is your opinion on muzzleloading:

Should we go Old School: Flint or Cap Lock, with patched round Ball?
or
Should we go High Tech: Inline, sabots, rifle bullets, smokeless powder, and guaranteed ignition?

What do you think?????

MATCHLOCK! Using tallow lubed, pillow ticking patched self cast round balls.

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Compare the impact of inexpensive inlines to what would happen if crossbows were suddenly legal for general use in bow season. You'd see a good-sized influx of people heaving short-bolts, and making hunting a touch tougher for the bow guys who have to get in *close* to do their work.

^^^lol. now they are!! How do you feel about this?

Also, crossbows still require one to get in close....

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My opinion on it is this: Primitive should definitely be primitive (somewhat primitive anyway; say, pre-mid-19th century technology):

No conical bullets

The precursor to the Minié ball was created in 1848 by the French Army captains Montgomery and Henri-Gustave Delvigne. Their design was made to allow rapid muzzle loading of rifles, an innovation that brought about the widespread use of the rifle as a mass battlefield weapon. Delvigne had invented a ball that could expand upon ramming to fit the grooves of a rifle in 1826.[1] The design of the ball had been proposed in 1832 as the Cylindro-conoidal bullet by Captain John Norton,[2] but had not been adopted.

A test [of the Minié ball] in Vincennes in 1849....

Seems like you ought to allow conicals if your cutoff is the mid-19th Century.

(For the record, I shoot a .50 cal Hawken clone. Sidelock, cap-ignited, double set trigger, and it shoots conicals much more accurately than round ball. And real black powder, damnit!)

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Inline or flint, I don't care. I don't think a separate season is necessary for the two. They are both muzzleloaders and offer one shot at a time. If you don't like inlines, don't use one. Opening another season is going to take away from bow hunters that enjoy the woods to themselves without every jackwagon in the county with a gun trompin around in the woods. Especially putting it between the current rifle and primitive season. That is my favorite time to be in a tree with a bow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom