Great Muzzle Loader Debate!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Leave muzzleloader season as is, with in-lines and scopes.

Add a 9 day FLINTLOCK ONLY, open sighted season in late December, like some states have back east.

Win win. Not taking anything away that has already been given, plus we would get more people into a new hobby. Maybe get some people out in the cold and toughen 'em up a little too.

Amirite? Skulking around with a flintlock in one of our rare snowstorms would be the bees knees.

Reaction score
Use what YOU like and don't worry about what somebody else uses as long as it's legal.

Good advice as to a positive judgment on the status quo. I don't, and *most* of us likewise agree that we should not.

But that's not really the question the OP is asking. The question here is "If you were God, or at least dictator of all wildlife rules, how *should* things be - what's the best overall setup?" That requires a normative decision.

RidgeHUNTER (there, fixed it, sorry), nahhhhh - the guys who use that *disadvantaged* technology ought to at least get the *advantage* of an early season, no? Turn it around and I'd agree with you - a 9 day flintlock season in late October, where ML season is now, then a ML season like the current one where anything goes during the second rut and later (in December). Just sub out the current ML with a true primitive, and then sub out the current bonus rifle hunts with the current ML rules!

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ridgerunner, nahhhhh - the guys who use that *disadvantaged* technology ought to at least get the *advantage* of an early season, no? Turn it around and I'd agree with you - a 9 day flintlock season in late October, where ML season is now, then a ML season like the current one where anything goes during the second rut and later (in December). Just sub out the current ML with a true primitive, and then sub out the current bonus rifle hunts with the current ML rules!

If I were dictator of hunting I'd take gunpowder outta the rut, period. But I gotta compromise or they'll run me outta OSA on a rail. :D

And yes, I often take FULL advantage of the seasons we have. The way they are set-up causes some major drawbacks where I hunt, yer dang right I'm out there trying to make up for it with the rest of 'em. If you let loose a chicken on a runway and gave me a go-cart to run it down with, I'd use the go-cart. If you're bringing in 30 guys with hot rods to try and run down the same chicken....Imma be in a hot rod too probably. I would go home chickenless in that go-cart, if you follow me.

Oh, and I don't care what you say about me....just spell the name right. That's RidgeHunter. :D

JEEPr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know one thing, nothing is more depressing than seeing nothing when the smoke clears. Do any of you carry a BP backup pistol during Muz season?

Reaction score
I know one thing, nothing is more depressing than seeing nothing when the smoke clears.

Well, I don't know about that. Most of the time that's exactly what happens when you GET one. Smoke clears; nothing. The excitement mounts though when you find that first blood drop 5 or 8 yards from where it was standing. The depression doesn't set in until you don't find blood for a half hour after you start looking.

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use a Thompson Center white mountain carbine percussion cap in .50 cal. I shoot 385 grain lead bullets from Hornady. Iron sights just like it came from the factory with the exception that i put a little flourescent orange paint on the front sight. As long as my old eyes can still hit the target at about 100yds or less I will use it.

I have no problems with the inlines, but do have to question at what point do the new muzzleloaders quite being a "primitive firearms"

For what it's worth I will probably get one my self in the future..

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
shot Cap Lock, with patched round Ball before inlines got popular.

then switched to High Tech Inline, sabots with shotshell primer and Leupold scope. MOA at 100yds... might as well be shooting a regular rifle.

purchased two high grade custom primitive rifles this years. looks like this year going with iron sights, cap and ball.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I get mine out, it is an old Knight inline that I use musket caps on. With the Barnes 250 gr hp sabots, it shoots like a dream with 2 50 gr pellets in it. The Shockey Gold Pellets shoot terrible in this gun. I think the modern mz's with the right bullets kill a lot more effectively than the old minie balls and round balls but we have plenty of deer now days and we can afford to lose a few to poor bullets. I say, let people hunt with the weapon they enjoy and everyone enjoy themselves.

Latest posts

Top Bottom