Gun safe advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just got a Bear safe a couple of months ago and it is the best safe I have ever owned. I recommend Bear safes 100 percent!

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I went and looked at them, and would love to get one, but don't have that kind of $$ at this point.

I did manage to find one. I went to everywhere I could think that had them, and almost pulled the trigger on the Fat Boy Jr., but they are at least 1 month wait right now on them H&H told me. Didn't like any of the options at Bass Pro, and Academy had a decent option, but I wasn't sold on it, but it was a contender. I went to Dicks and they had a really nice Field & Stream 36 gun, but didn't have it in stock (other than the display and they won't sell displays), and when he went back and looked, and they had last years model of a Sentinel 48 gun, electronic lock with back up skeleton key. He pulled it out so I could look at it, and they had it discounted since it was last years model down to $799 (from $1199), then offered an additional 10% off, and an additional $20 discount. So I ended up getting an $1199.00 safe for $760(ish), tax included. Comes with door panel storage. It's not a super high end safe by any means, but for the money it made it very hard to pass up, and better than the small thing I have right now that is too small, and with 0 fire rating. I'm going to pick it up Saturday and bring it home, and have a few friends coming over to help unload it. With the pending move in the near months, I'm just going to set it up in the garage so I don't have to hassle taking it down the hallway, and shortly after moving it again.

I'll post up a pic of it after I get it home and unpacked. I appreciate everyone's recommendations! There were some very great options!

Last edited:

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Different safe related question.

What's the cheapest safe you would recommend for a novice owner? Big enough to fit rifles

The question you face is, how many? Say you have 8 rifles, and you want to store your ammo in your safe as well. 8 + ammo, would over fill a 10 gun safe. What I've noticed is their gun rating is at MAX capacity, with leaving little to no room for storage, depending on if it has an upper shelf. For instance, I have 10 rifles (5 of which have scopes), and I currently have a 14 rifle safe right now, and I can only fit 8 in with 5 of having scopes, and leaving 0 room for ammo other than a very small top shelf. That's why I bought the safe I did. 48 gun sounds extreme, but that gives me a bit of room to grow and still maintain all my ammo/gear storage needs.

Best advice I can give is, you get what you pay for $$ wise. Second, looking at safes online is no comparison to putting your hands on it, and actually seeing the layout and quality of the interior of the safe. The pictures they will post of safes will make them look a lot bigger or smaller than they actually are. Keep into consideration if you plan on expanding your collection any, because who wants to buy a safe that they will have to replace if they acquire a new gun because they didn't leave their self room?

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I got it home, and the wife and I managed to get it all unloaded on our own. I got it parked in it's home for now,and all of the family moved into it. I'm pretty happy with it. I'm not thrilled with the pistol hangers, they aren't adjustable, and are too big even for my 1911 no matter which way it's put in. The little Makarov is holding on to dear life to stay put in there. I may do some creative genius something or other to them, to make the fit a bit better.

i79.photobucket.com_albums_j153_excat_56_2013_05_03_213617_zpsa2ec391d.jpg

i79.photobucket.com_albums_j153_excat_56_2013_05_03_170400_zps9e9ea1cc.jpg

i79.photobucket.com_albums_j153_excat_56_2013_05_03_212217_zpse1532b2e.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom