Guns On Campus

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Oklahoma's Concealed Carry Permit be valid on college campuses?

• Yes

Votes: 99 98.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JRF01

Marksman
Reaction score
Have you gone to the office of the president of the university and asked to be able to carry on campus? Until you have you can't actually say that you can't carry on campus. I may not agree with all of the provisions of the SDA, but for now that is what we have. I have worked for a university for over seven years. I know the secretaries in the presidents office and from time to time I stop by and ask if anyone as been in and asked for a letter from the president. In those seven years no one has been in and asked. I know that you may not like the rules as they are written, but until we get Article 2, Section 26 of the Oklahoma Constitution changed we will be limited by the state on where and when we can carry.

I didn't know that this was an option until recently so no I have not. However, I am actually in the process of writing a letter that I can hand deliver to the College President that documents my qualifications and experiences and explains why I expect to be allowed to carry on campus. Although I am preparing to do this I do believe that it should not be required. I would like to thank you all for the comments so far. This really helps but please do not get in to the usual in-fighting that is common on forums. As my father said "stand together or fall alone"

S

Steamer

Politicians and their sheeple never seem to understand that criminals, nor the insane, obey any guns laws. Gun free zones do not exist - the bad guys make sure of it. How many Virginia Techs and the like can we take before things change????

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Politicians and their sheeple never seem to understand that criminals, nor the insane, obey any guns laws. Gun free zones do not exist - the bad guys make sure of it.

I agree but I think college administrators and others in many leadership positions may have a slightly different view. That view is that normally good people will flip out under emotional stress (e.g. "Your fired" or "You are expelled") and start shooting people if they have a gun on them. Otherwise they would cool down before they reached a firearm stored at home or in a vehicle. I do not think that this stands up to close examination and it is antithetical to the second amendment. However it does have a certain internal logic to it ..."We can't trust people."

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree but I think college administrators and others in many leadership positions may have a slightly different view. That view is that normally good people will flip out under emotional stress (e.g. "Your fired" or "You are expelled") and start shooting people if they have a gun on them. Otherwise they would cool down before they reached a firearm stored at home or in a vehicle. I do not think that this stands up to close examination and it is antithetical to the second amendment. However it does have a certain internal logic to it ..."We can't trust people."

This is the basic premise of our elected leaders.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thirdly, the legislature respects the turf of the college administrators.

That may have something to do with how much "one-on-one" time some college (and CareerTech) administrators spend with legislators. There are a lot of perks to be had from the education industry when you term limit is up, and even while you're in office.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've got a better chance of convincing President Obama to drop out of the race than we do of convincing our legislature to open college campuses to concealed carry. IMNSHO.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
While it may not be the majority of gun crimes (I don't know), I would say in the last 15 years in the United States, it's got to be where the majority of mass murders have occurred - schools. And "gun-free" workplaces, if you want to check those. I think most workplaces these days sadly have no-gun rules. Which doesn't help them when psychos come calling... whereas a few CCW holders in the company might just lower the eventual body count a bit. :(

Such a sad topic to have to debate, isn't it?

Latest posts

Top Bottom