Guns On Campus

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Oklahoma's Concealed Carry Permit be valid on college campuses?

• Yes

Votes: 99 98.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ahh good old J. Edger's Uniform Crime Report (his greatest contribution to Law Enforcement). Unfortunately they are limited by the fact that they do not tabulate crimes by whether or not the area allows firearms to be carried, but instead by geographic region. I imagine that this information could be combined with some NIBRs (incident based reporting) and victim impact surveys to create a well rounded and compelling sets of data and facts. As far as I've found though there doesn't seem to be a study of this kind, but perhaps I'm mistaken (it has happened before :cry3:)

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What laws protect the CC if force was necessary on campus. Could said individual use deadly force to protect another when that individual was not directly threatened?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ahh good old J. Edger's Uniform Crime Report (his greatest contribution to Law Enforcement). Unfortunately they are limited by the fact that they do not tabulate crimes by whether or not the area allows firearms to be carried, but instead by geographic region. I imagine that this information could be combined with some NIBRs (incident based reporting) and victim impact surveys to create a well rounded and compelling sets of data and facts. As far as I've found though there doesn't seem to be a study of this kind, but perhaps I'm mistaken (it has happened before :cry3:)

The data can be extrapolated by those regions allowing CC, vs. those where it's strictly prohibited by law. I know of no way to directly correlate crime statistics to specific areas where CCW is banned vs. those where it's alllowed, either specifically or permissively.

What laws protect the CC if force was necessary on campus. Could said individual use deadly force to protect another when that individual was not directly threatened?

Absent a familial relationship, not legally.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The data can be extrapolated by those regions allowing CC, vs. those where it's strictly prohibited by law. I know of no way to directly correlate crime statistics to specific areas where CCW is banned vs. those where it's alllowed, either specifically or permissively.

I'll have to put my thinking cap on for this one, since this is exactly what we need to do to create an effective argument to convince those with the power to allow campus carry. What is sad is we've probably put more energy into this topic than those we elected to do just that. It is possible.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have my CCP or what ever you want to call it ....
If you dont know what its called or whatever....its a CWL by the way...... its kinda a moot point.
That really makes a difference in how I would vote in the pole ....or whatever.
As far as the pole goes, if you have a ..CWL.. you should be able to carry anywhere, or wherever the trouble seems to be, else ...Whats the use being disarmed in the most dangerous places?

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
at least I now know to completely ignore all of your posts in the future.

You do that and you will cheat yourself out of a plethora of firearms knowledge. I consider Glocktogo to be one of the most knowledgeable here at OSA. He's an O.G. and he knows his ****.

As for me? I didn't vote yes or no because I'm kinda on the fence. Let me tell you why.

First off, I am a campus police officer at a two year college in the south-central part of the state. I've been a cop for 23 years, working my last seven here at the college. We have a no weapons policy just like every other college. After being around college students day in/day out for this amount of time, I feel like I know a few things about college kids.

Most of our students here are either local folks or athletes from afar. Usually from Oklahoma or surrounding states but we do get athletes from overseas. Most of these kids focus on sports and that's about it. I know, I know, this has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand. You're right. We also have some students who I know deep in my heart that they do have a firearm of somekind in their vehicle. The tell-tale signs are there...the Browning and NRA stickers in the back glass of their 4x4 Chevy truck, the Mossy Oak seat covers, the spent brass in the bed of their truck - whatever. Personally, I don't bust these guys chops or try to get them in any kind of trouble by digging up some eveidence of a gun in their truck because I strongly believe that I may need those guys to help me someday in the event of an active shooter or whatever. I work an 8 hour shift BY MYSELF with the local PD at least 10 minutes away.

10 minutes seems like an eternity when the **** hits the fan!

So because of my weapon totin' rednecks on campus, I feel like 'yes' they should be allowed to carry.

However...

I can't shake the idea that an honest, to goodness, bona-fide SDA carrying student is only setting himself up for a civil lawsuit or worse POSSIBLE DEATH by totin' an iron on campus.

Let me explain.

Here's the scenario. I receive a call of an active shooter in one of our classrooms. I respond to the call. Before I arrive, one of you guys - the honest to goodnes, bona-fide SDA holders just so happen to be in the classroom with the bad guy doing the shooting. Let's say he/she shoots the instructor, then he shoots a student or two and then you see your opening when his back is to you. You stand up, draw your weapon, put a couple of well placed shots in the back of his head, torso, whatever. He falls to the ground and you continue to engage by keeping your weapon on him.

Just then, I, the campus police, have arrived on the scene. I heard a couple of shots, storm into the classroom and see you with your weapon pointing at a man on the ground. What do you think I'm gonna do?

Chances are, before you get to tell your story, you might have a round or two in your chest, maybe one in your forehead.

Is it possible? Have you ever been in a situation where you had to immediately tell your side of a story and you get tounge-tied and ramble making absolutely no words just a bunch of babbling? Trust me - under stress, your body goes into fight or flight mode. When you try to communicate, your mouth usually goes, "ahbuddabuddaboobbaflayck!"

Don't believe me? Watch some deer hunting videos sometime. Watch how the hunters are all jacked up, pumped up, adrenaline flowing and all they can do is smile from ear to ear and go, "whoo! Wow! Man! That was...whew!"

You see what I'm saying? Try SHOOTING ANOTHER HUMAN BEING UNDER STRESS and then calmly telling a police officer WHO IS ABOUT TO SHOOT YOU because he thinks you are the ACTIVE SHOOTER waving a gun around and babbling, what a cop would believe to be FOREIGN LANGUAGE (do you think the word terrorist would enter his mind?) that you are actually the hero at large. It's gonna come out of your mouth as a bunch of jibberish.

Do you see what I'm saying?

Do you think that scenario is possible?

Are you ready?

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GED, I agree that your scenario is possible. However, as between taking my chances with the active shooter, and taking the chance that you'll show up at exactly the moment I'm neutralizing an active threat, I'm going to bet on the former every time. My odds with you--both with your timing and your training--are a hell of a lot better than my odds with Dylan Klebold or Seung-Hui Cho.

Latest posts

Top Bottom