H&H Gunsmithing a JOKE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never been to H&H.
But my experience as a gunsmith for over 25 years and a former gunshop owner is that the gunsmiths
are not paid by the hour, but on a percentage of what they charge like 60/40.
Therefore since they are not paid directly by the store, they are going to charge you for any work done.
I am 99% confident you would charge the customer for the time
also if you worked on that basis.
Doing an occasional freebie is OK, but soon everybody starts expecting it all the time.
How can the smith working on commission in the back make a living doing freebies?

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh almost forgot, I a cheap pair of 1911 grips and asked if they would change them out they said sure. Not sure but it will cost you. Anyway for a $20 pair of grips the Smith charged me $10 to change 4 screws. I told him to put the old ones back on there was no way I would pay $10 for him to unscrew 4 screws on the grips of a 1911.
a) Would you feel better if it was $200 set of grips?
b) Don't you think labor rate should be the same regardless of the part cost?
c) How would you feel if you tried to do it yourself, rounded the screw with a wrong screwdriver, ruined the grips, and then screwed up the threads in the receiver trying to extract the boogered screw? Now you are out of grips, grip screws, $100-$200 to repair the frame, PLUS days or weeks of wait for proper repair.

$10 still sounds bad? So what made you think that this person should not get paid for the service provided. Did he do a bad job? No?

You keep mentioning how cheap the grips were - there are no cheap parts or labor - only people.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
MoBoost. I don't give a rats @#$ that the grips were only $20 or $2000 it was 4 screws, and yes they should have done them for free. I guess I look at things differently then most folks. Now if it was a trigger job or installing a internal part or the sights I would have gladly paid and been happy. $10 for 45 secs of work was out of line in my opinion. You can check with any number of members and they will tell you of things I have given for free, when I could have made a profit real easy. When 380 ammo was $95 a box I gave a member 1 1/2 boxes (75 rounds) just gave 2 other members a complete reloading set RCBS that sells for almost $300 and another member a tumbler that sells for almost $450. So yes it pissed me off then to be charged $10 to screw 4 screws on a 1911, and it would piss me off today.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MoBoost. I don't give a rats @#$ that the grips were only $20 or $2000 it was 4 screws, and yes they should have done them for free. I guess I look at things differently then most folks. Now if it was a trigger job or installing a internal part or the sights I would have gladly paid and been happy. $10 for 45 secs of work was out of line in my opinion. You can check with any number of members and they will tell you of things I have given for free, when I could have made a profit real easy. When 380 ammo was $95 a box I gave a member 1 1/2 boxes (75 rounds) just gave 2 other members a complete reloading set RCBS that sells for almost $300 and another member a tumbler that sells for almost $450. So yes it pissed me off then to be charged $10 to screw 4 screws on a 1911, and it would piss me off today.
Obviously you are very generous man (not that bragging about it or anything like that:rolleyes2). Of course I would do it for you for free, and I'm sure any member on this site would do it for free. I'm sure you could do it if you just simply had a screwdriver. And yes it would be cool if they just did for you - and if the gunsmith personally knew you he'd probably would do it for free also.

However, entering a business and expecting not to do a business transaction is either ignorant or naive, and I can't tell which it is. What do you do for living?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Surjimmy, I didn't understand from your post.
On the grips in question, did you buy them on that day from H&H or did you bring them from home?
If you bought them there on that day, you should have worked with the salesman to be installed "FREE" not the gunsmith.
If you brought them from home, you absolutely should have been charged.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$10 for 45 secs of work was out of line in my opinion.
To put some perspective, unless it has changed, the "shop fee" is $35/hr + parts, sooo... that sounds like a minimum .33 hour fee.

I've known Chris for 20 odd years, now, and his work has always been clean and well-executed.

The best descriptors for the majority of the others behind the GS counter are, "uneducated", "uninformed" and "uninterested". Unfortuantely, that also describes many people requesting products and services across the counter, which does create a challenge...

Mo, I'm an RN, don't get me started on appropriate fees for service!:smash::respect:

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To put some perspective, unless it has changed, the "shop fee" is $35/hr + parts, sooo... that sounds like a minimum .33 hour fee.

While many jobs are priced based on the task, the repair fee for other is based on a few of $55/hr plus a $5 shop fee.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
mr ed. I bought the grips there, I had just bought a 1911 and it had slick grips on it. I was wanting to put some rounds through it at their range to make sure it ran ok. When I told the salesman I would take them and ask is there any way we can put the grips on now, he said sure no problem. He walks away and comes back and adds $10 to price of the grips.........MoBoost...... I don't like your underhand little digs, and if you can't refrain from it please stay off my threads. I was not bragging and I'm sure most members know that. I was making a point since you was so kind to break down the labor process. Again stay off my threads unless you have something helpful say without your underhanded disrespect. The internet lets people say what they want without any consequences. You wouldn't say this to my face and you wont say it here. Now I can't stop you from posting here, all I can do is have a slim hope you might have enough class in you to respect my wishes. If not, well then your the coward I think you are. So keep posting............... Now back to the original post. Right or wrong on the grip matter, that's my opinion. It was several years ago, by its self no big deal. Only when you add that to them chipping the mag plate on the rifle and the 7 month wait. It just starts bothering ya. Since this is the place where you can vent. I did. I received another nice pm from the Mgr of H&H. I would encourage everyone to continue to go to H&H and do not let my problem influence you one way or another. I understand the problem has been addressed, and should not be a problem in the future.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MoBoost...... I don't like your underhand little digs, and if you can't refrain from it please stay off my threads. I was not bragging and I'm sure most members know that. I was making a point since you was so kind to break down the labor process. Again stay off my threads unless you have something helpful say without your underhanded disrespect. The internet lets people say what they want without any consequences. You wouldn't say this to my face and you wont say it here. Now I can't stop you from posting here, all I can do is have a slim hope you might have enough class in you to respect my wishes. If not, well then your the coward I think you are. So keep posting...............

1) I will respectfully ignore your wishes. As long as it doesn't violate forum rules I will post whenever I want, whatever I want. Don't post in public forum if you don't want to hear public opinion.

2) If you think I won't tell you that you are cheapskate in your face you obviously don't know me. My real name and real address is in my sig - come on by.

3) If your mama told you that speaking up for something you believe makes you a "coward" - I guess I'll be a coward; and if making someone do the job twice and not paying for it is "high class" - I guess I will not have any class whatsoever.

Latest posts

Top Bottom